Clausing Colchester 15"

Went back today as instructed.
I showed pics of how I've cleaned her up (dust & grease), how I moved her, and how I'm leveling her.
Evidently they deemed me worthy to look through the shelves with misc stuff collected over multiple decades. As I was leaving I was told how comforted they were in knowing that I would be taking good care of her.

I was ultimately sent me home with a dog plate, 2 carriage micrometer stops (one for the Colchester and one for my large BoyeEmmes), a Hardinge 5c spindle nose collet chuck, a MT live center and a MT jacobs chuck to fit.

And one of our members forwarded some digital manuals. That's tonights reading.

I've really been blessed this week!

I'm hoping to find a HM who might make me an offer on one of the lathes which I have posted in Classifieds so that I can pass on the blessings.

Daryl
MN

Hi Daryl, very nice machine. Almost the very same size as my Enterprise, except yours has 50% more power, probably 50% heavier, bigger spindle (mount & hole). Looks pretty thick all over. Nice, I like it.

When it comes to a taper attachment, as you well know there are at least two styles that are common - sort of depends on how the lathe designers intended for the TTA to work (either push the cross slide, or push the cross slide screw). The Enterprise is sometimes considered a lighter knock off of the Colchester (the headstock controls have a very similar layout), and employs a telescopic portion of the cross slide lead screw. Basically it is a long inner / outer splined connection. The cross slide screw then extends out the back and secures into a square block and the taper attachment pushes this block, which pushes the screw, which pushes the split nut that is bolted to the bottom of the cross slide. This is a nice arrangement because the taper attachment is quick to set up (bolt on the anchor, set the angle and you're in business) - the actual TTA remains bolted up at all times. You also retain the function of the cross slide handwheel. My guess is that your machine already has the telescopic cross slide lead screw.
upload_2016-9-19_19-53-30.png upload_2016-9-19_20-10-41.png

The other common arrangement that I am aware of (how the Smart and Brown is set up) is where the cross slide is secured to a stout block which follows an angled bar at the back of the machine. You mount up the TTA as needed, disconnect the cross slide screw from the hand wheel, and bolt the cross slide to the stout block (the cross slide hand wheel then does nothing). There may be a couple position options (at least there is on the S&B) as to where the cross slide is secured to said stout block (depending on where you want your tool post to be). The final positioning of the tool post (and thus the cutting tool) is done via the compound.

I'd say making a TTA is entirely possible (heck, then you could make one with a longer travel). If you have trouble getting pictures of the actual TTA for that machine, I'd be glad to send you plenty of pictures from my machine.

Best regards, David

Daryl first off let me say congrats that is an AWESOME machine!!! How do I know? Because I bought that exact model lathe brand new for our tool and die shop at work in the early 90's. Paid roughly $19k with a 10" PB 3-jaw, Royal MT5 live center, Aloris CXA tool post set and Sony 2-axis DRO installed. No taper attachment. It is a workhorse. Very well built and parts can be had no prob other than $$$$$. 20+ years and the only non-operator inflicted issue has been the head stock oil pump belt. Shredded it twice in that time from chips working there way in around the end cover somehow. I have all original manual and paperwork we got with it so I could probably copy it for you.

Reactions: Guv
Chipper5783
I sincerely thank you for your willingness to step up.
This has been added to my "to-do" list. Most likely several months out, as I will be doing lots of reading and scrounging data and multiple drafts of a hand drawn print.
Additionally, I need to get some additional jobs completed before I seriously begin this one.

Daryl
MN

Cheeseking a copy of the manual would be great!
sgisler emailed me his digital copies. They've already been very helpful. And I only did a quick once over looking for electrical panel set up info.
sgisler identified that the manuals he forwarded aren't an exact match for his machine.
Thus, copies of yours might be the missing link for both of us.

Are you able to make a digital copy?

Daryl
MN

Nice score, congratulations!
I've been looking for a nice deal on a Clausing Colchester Lathe, either a 13" or 15", for about 6 months... nothing yet but I will keep at it.

Cheeseking a copy of the manual would be great!
sgisler emailed me his digital copies. They've already been very helpful. And I only did a quick once over looking for electrical panel set up info.
sgisler identified that the manuals he forwarded aren't an exact match for his machine.
Thus, copies of yours might be the missing link for both of us.

Are you able to make a digital copy?

Daryl
MN

That would be great if you're able cheeseking!!

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stan I have the manual, schematics etc scanned to pdf. I will upload to dropbox and send a link to Daryl. You need it also?
I was looking thru all the paperwork I have on it and came across the catalogs and price sheets from when i bought it (apparently It was late 90's not early as i recalled) For reference the taper attach for the 15" listed for about $2k
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474390040.800135.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1474390105.503744.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1474390137.256487.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1474390177.292706.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1474390226.944650.jpg

Just to give you an idea how stupid crazy part$ are, this was the belt I replaced twice.....$250 and thats pressing for a discount
But hey they pick up the phone and you can get what you need.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474390440.655452.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474390752.877111.jpg

.........Stan I have the manual, schematics etc scanned to pdf. I will upload to dropbox and send a link to Daryl. You need it also? ........,

Yes please! Just sent you a PM.
Thanks!

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back