Clausing Colchester 17C

That's quite a slugger! Of course I support the Clausing, but what about the Takisawa behind it, was that on your radar, or did you say in the other thread that it is like one you already have?

That's quite a slugger! Of course I support the Clausing, but what about the Takisawa behind it, was that on your radar, or did you say in the other thread that it is like one you already have?
That Takisawa I tinkered with. I thought about using that over the Monarch but for absolutely no reason whatsoever I'm obsessed with monarch. Never used one or even seen one running. I'm selling the Takisawa. I made a thread in the Takisawa section.

Hey there! I recognize that lathe! Its still on my trailer deck waiting to get unloaded into my garage / workshop space.

Quite the beast it is! I don't know if you're the seller or the business partner of the seller, but man there are some awesome things in that warehouse. I also appreciate the very fair price on one of the Johnson saws.

This machine will be going to a good place and be well loved. Kinda glad you passed on doing anything with it as I was more than obsessive when I found it for sale. I have been looking for the Gap bed version for close to 8 years now and kept coming across Dominion models or when I would find a gap bed for sale, it would get sold out from under me. I even won an auction for one, drove to DC to pick it up and it wasn't there. The auction company then tells me that there was an error in the auction, read the fine print, and the owner sold it cash money prior to the sale and they had failed to update the online auction listing. I was MAD.

Anyways, I came here to make a thread about the machine and its fun to find it already in here. They are seemingly rare to find. This one has some pretty substantial wear in the bed ways from it being used with the grinder.

@S5rx7 so you have any additional history on it? You're not Mike are ya?

20230319_110248.jpg

And before anyone freaks out about the strap on the chuck, it was there for looks as I've been harassed by DOT before for not having any "transverse and visible" straps so it was barely snug and only there for show. I doubt it could even do anything to the machine as its got a 12" buck adjust-tru hanging off it already. The cinch loops around the webs of the bed were fine and we went 10 hours down super rough I-77S and out I-64E through WV to Richmond and nothing moved at all.

20230320_123002.jpg

Machine has been pushed to the edge of the trailer and I am awaiting some help to lift it off the trailer and get it earthbound... Again, this thing is going in my garage shop. I had a 15x48 Triumph that this is replacing and beside this will be a 6" Student that I am refurbing... certainly not on the level of refurb that the OP does. I stalked some of your other posts here and wow, nice work!

No, Mike loaded it for you. He lives right down the street. It's not a bad lathe for an old gal. That saw is in nice shape. Nicest ones out of all the Johnsons in there. Sorry if Mike tried to sell you a bunch of junk and got pushy. I'll apoligize ahead of time for that .

No, Mike loaded it for you. He lives right down the street. It's not a bad lathe for an old gal. That saw is in nice shape. Nicest ones out of all the Johnsons in there. Sorry if Mike tried to sell you a bunch of junk and got pushy. I'll apoligize ahead of time for that .

Mike wasn't pushy at all! He WAS in a hurry, because his wife had tasked him with getting breakfast and I was dilly dallying around looking at all the machinery and playing ennie meenie minee moe with the bandsaws.

The transaction was quite smooth. I was a little nervous traveling so far for a machine unseen, but for the price and condition, I am very happy.

My Girlfriend, who Mike met, spent some time yesterday with an old towel and some Zep cleaner and she really went to town on the thing. It looks great! Its amazing how dirty these things can get and we don't really notice.

I got it off my trailer, into the shop, and a set of decent leveling adjusters under it. I will start getting the rough leveling and and alignment done this week in the evenings after work, and then will fine tune it some more. Have to move all of the other machines back into their spaces around it now that big momma is in place. The 2 ton crane and other rigging equipment is still all scattered everywhere too.

20230326_133446.jpg

20230326_192300.jpg

20230326_142341.jpg

20230326_194801.jpg

Very nice! Cleaning up well! If you ever head back up this way and want to dig around for a day lmk. Scraps up again so will be cleaning alot of stuff out. I'm looking forward to see what your going to do with it. Maybe start a New thread about it so I can follow?

Back