Clausing dp chuck removal

dlane

Active User
Registered
The chuck has a threaded collar above it , is that collar to push the taper apart to remove the chuck from the spindle ? And is it part of the chuck or spindle ?
Thanks
9870B11B-5335-41C6-8331-45C18C55F329.jpeg

Yes, it is to remove and retain the chuck; on the one that I had, it had a morse taper instead of the chuck. Mine was equipped with a 3 phase motot and a drum switch so that we were able to use it for tapping.

The dp was sitting for 15yrs , there should be a jt33 taper hiding in there but it’s on there tight I’m hoping some heat might persuade it to come loose, so is the collar a separate part or ?.

In have a Walker-Turner DP with the same set up. Inside the collar are ball bearings that are wedged between the collar and the chuck to prevent the chuck from coming off due to side pressure.

The collar is a separate part, it stays on the spindle, I think. It should come off CCW; I would not advise to use heat. Use a nicely fitting spanner with a hammer, while holding/clamping the spindle stationary. I think the top end of the chuck has male threads that the collar engages. Some penetrating oil there may help.

So do I turn it up to push on the spindle, or turn it down to push on the top of chuck

Last edited:
Got it off, the collar is part of the chuck and needs to push on the chuck top not the spindle.
Just to happen to have the rite size spanner wrench.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back