[4]

Clausing Drill Press (new to me)

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rwm

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I just received this Clausing drill press. It is in excellent shape with no functional issues as far as I can tell.

1525633687566.png

Now I need to try to get into the shop and in place! First issue: my shop is indoors with a wood floor. The floor is strong enough to hold this 350 lb item however where I intend to place the machine the floor is not level. It is domed up about 1/8". The floor is solid hardwood over OSB. I am wondering if I could sand or plane it flat or should I just consider leveling feet. The base on this drill is not setup to accept leveling feet so that would have to be engineered.
What are your thoughts on this?

Robert

amsoilman

Amsoilman
Registered
Sanding sounds like a easy solution

Al 1

Registered
Robert, I need more info on the make up of the floor. What is holding up the OSB. Floor joists. what size? Center of joists. Span of joists.
In your house, In your shed , garage, or crawl space, basement? etc. Al.

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Robert, That's a nice looking drill press. Could you just shim it with cedar shims? Or cut a piece of 1/2" plywood the shape of the base and scribe it level to the floor. Cut it about an 1" wide like you would a gasket so you do not have as much to sand off, and then set the drill press on top.
Happy drilling
Martin

benmychree

John York
I had one very similar, bought it new, and used for many years until I sold it with my business. In my opinion, leveling of most drill presses is of little importance if they do not rock on an uneven floor; mine was never even bolted down, and still is not, however it is likely a good idea to do so, especially if there is a wood floor. to avoid rocking and roughly leveling, shims would be sufficient, used under the points that are to be bolted down (likely) using lag screws.
You made an excellent choice of machine, they are quite well made and stand up to everyday use for (likely) a lifetime, or even several lifetimes.

mikey

Active User
Oooh, that's my dream drill press right there, Robert! That looks like a Jacobs Super Chuck on it, too. Very well made and it has an angular contact bearing at the end of the quill. Well done, and ...

:you suck:

The drill press only needs to be solid, not leveled. If you aren't going to be moving it, just shim it so it doesn't move and use it.

rwm

Active User
Thanks for all the replies. It will definitely rock if I put it on the floor as planned. I'll need to do something like shims or leveling feet. The house was built in 1942 so it has super thick joists. I also have a jack post very close to where I'm placing this which supports my heavier metal lathe. Also my mother-in-law weighs the same as my drill press and she has stood in that very spot!
R

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Very nice drill press- what is that device on the front? Beer can holder? :D
Mark

rwm

Active User
Oooh, that's my dream drill press right there, Robert! That looks like a Jacobs Super Chuck on it, too. Very well made and it has an angular contact bearing at the end of the quill. Well done, and ...

:you suck:
I did not get this for a steal. I just wanted a good one. I'm not sure how to fix the idiot Mark in the table. We will address that later in the thread!
R

Last edited:

rwm

Active User
Very nice drill press- what is that device on the front? Beer can holder? :D
Mark
That is a safety guard. It is spring loaded and flips down over the Chuck. I assume that was an OSHA requirement for the shop that this was operated in. I will not be using it.
R

randyjaco

Active User
Congratulations on the Clausing drill press. That is one of the finest drill presses made. Enjoy it.

Randy

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
:congrats: Nice score, that is one fine drill press you got there. :drool:

rwm

Active User
If you are dumb enough to drill a hole in the table, can you at least drill it in the middle????
R

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
If it goes all the way through, My have been drilled to hold a fixture.

rwm

Active User
No way the hole is too large and way off center. The drill was skating as it went through so the hole is angled.
So how do you fix a hole in a cast iron table? I am thinking about taping it and screwing in a cast iron plug then having the table ground. Can you get a table of this size ground?
Robert

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Shure find some one in your area with a Blanchard grinder.

rwm

Active User
So this drill has an "oil table" to catch oil and coolant. I am used to regular tables with slots for hold downs. What is the proper way to fix work to this table? Just a loose drill vise? Should I consider adding a tooling plate with holes or slots? I could drill 4 small holes in the corners to hold such a plate? I could attach a t slot plate?

Maybe an aluminum T slot plate like this:

Robert

Last edited:
F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nice drill press Robert.
For smaller work this is the handiest vice I've ever used. Was mounted on an old drill press I bought at a yard sale. Apparently they're still available but not cheap. The mounting bracket stops it from turning but allows the vice to be moved around for centering under the quill. Has a stepped jaws for thin stock and vertical and horizontal prisms in the fixed jaw for round stock.

Greg

Attachments

chips&more

Active User
Registered
No way the hole is too large and way off center. The drill was skating as it went through so the hole is angled.
So how do you fix a hole in a cast iron table? I am thinking about taping it and screwing in a cast iron plug then having the table ground. Can you get a table of this size ground?
Robert
Nice DP!!! I would do the same to fix the hole except. I would cast iron plug it but only carefully file and stone the plug till flush with the table. Grinding the entire table IMHO would not have a happy ending…Dave

rwm

Active User
I suspect grinding the whole table would be difficult and expensive. I like the idea of some kind of tooling plate with a center hole.
To level the machine I have a brainstorm! The base has T slots in it. I could make a plate that attaches to that with leveling feet! Adjustable and removable!
Robert

rwm

Active User
Nice drill press Robert.
For smaller work this is the handiest vice I've ever used. Was mounted on an old drill press I bought at a yard sale. Apparently they're still available but not cheap. The mounting bracket stops it from turning but allows the vice to be moved around for centering under the quill. Has a stepped jaws for thin stock and vertical and horizontal prisms in the fixed jaw for round stock.

Greg
That is very interesting vise. It look like a good project to make also! How is the jaw away from the handle movable?
Robert

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Very handy vice Robert, wish I could remember the manufacturer, will try and remember to look when Im in the shop.
There is a lead screw inside the shaft, a slot in the side of the tube allows the jaw to attach. They make one with a release to move the jaw quickly.

Greg

rwm

Active User
Thanks Randy. I can't believe how expensive those are.
Robert

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Thanks Randy. I can't believe how expensive those are.
Robert
Yeah, I wasn't really expecting that either. They are nice though.

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
lol I warned you they weren't cheap. The Wahlstrom is the one I have, looks like they don't make the one I have without the quick adjust.
Be a great project. Mine is simpler, just a tube with a lead screw down the length. The ouside jaw is fixed to the tube.

Greg

rwm

Active User
So I took a belt sander to the wood floor and I think I have it pretty close to level. I will have to bring in the drill and see how stable it is. Need to build a dolly to move it first.
I will eventually be making that drill vice that Greg posted. 'nuther thread!
Robert

Charles Spencer

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
My drill press isn't as heavy duty as yours, but I've been using this on it for the last couple of years. I had to disassemble some of it, file and clean it up, and put washers on where the arrows are. It works pretty well lining things up and repeatability isn't too bad if I use a stop.

press 6 hm.jpg

rwm

Active User
Charles- I have always wondered about the utility of an X Y on the DP. I always assumed the rigidity was not sufficient to get good accuracy? Maybe if you use rigid spot drills?
Got the Clausing cleaned up and removed the blue sticker around the top since it was half off anyway. I will get some pics when I move it in.
I sanded the wood floor with a belt sander and got it close to level.
Robert

[6]
[5] [7]