Clausing Drill Press (new to me)

Nice drill press Robert.
For smaller work this is the handiest vice I've ever used. Was mounted on an old drill press I bought at a yard sale. Apparently they're still available but not cheap. The mounting bracket stops it from turning but allows the vice to be moved around for centering under the quill. Has a stepped jaws for thin stock and vertical and horizontal prisms in the fixed jaw for round stock.

Greg
That is very interesting vise. It look like a good project to make also! How is the jaw away from the handle movable?
Robert

Very handy vice Robert, wish I could remember the manufacturer, will try and remember to look when Im in the shop.
There is a lead screw inside the shaft, a slot in the side of the tube allows the jaw to attach. They make one with a release to move the jaw quickly.

Greg

Thanks Randy. I can't believe how expensive those are.
Robert

lol I warned you they weren't cheap. The Wahlstrom is the one I have, looks like they don't make the one I have without the quick adjust.
Be a great project. Mine is simpler, just a tube with a lead screw down the length. The ouside jaw is fixed to the tube.

Greg

So I took a belt sander to the wood floor and I think I have it pretty close to level. I will have to bring in the drill and see how stable it is. Need to build a dolly to move it first.
I will eventually be making that drill vice that Greg posted. 'nuther thread!
Robert

My drill press isn't as heavy duty as yours, but I've been using this on it for the last couple of years. I had to disassemble some of it, file and clean it up, and put washers on where the arrows are. It works pretty well lining things up and repeatability isn't too bad if I use a stop.

press 6 hm.jpg

Charles- I have always wondered about the utility of an X Y on the DP. I always assumed the rigidity was not sufficient to get good accuracy? Maybe if you use rigid spot drills?
Got the Clausing cleaned up and removed the blue sticker around the top since it was half off anyway. I will get some pics when I move it in.
I sanded the wood floor with a belt sander and got it close to level.
Robert

Back