Clausing Drill Press (new to me)

Congratulations on the Clausing drill press. That is one of the finest drill presses made. Enjoy it.

Randy

:congrats: Nice score, that is one fine drill press you got there. :drool:

If you are dumb enough to drill a hole in the table, can you at least drill it in the middle????
R

If it goes all the way through, My have been drilled to hold a fixture.

No way the hole is too large and way off center. The drill was skating as it went through so the hole is angled.
So how do you fix a hole in a cast iron table? I am thinking about taping it and screwing in a cast iron plug then having the table ground. Can you get a table of this size ground?
Robert

Shure find some one in your area with a Blanchard grinder.

So this drill has an "oil table" to catch oil and coolant. I am used to regular tables with slots for hold downs. What is the proper way to fix work to this table? Just a loose drill vise? Should I consider adding a tooling plate with holes or slots? I could drill 4 small holes in the corners to hold such a plate? I could attach a t slot plate?

Maybe an aluminum T slot plate like this:
TSP_mittel2.jpg

Robert

Last edited:
Nice drill press Robert.
For smaller work this is the handiest vice I've ever used. Was mounted on an old drill press I bought at a yard sale. Apparently they're still available but not cheap. The mounting bracket stops it from turning but allows the vice to be moved around for centering under the quill. Has a stepped jaws for thin stock and vertical and horizontal prisms in the fixed jaw for round stock.

Greg

IMG_0706.jpg

No way the hole is too large and way off center. The drill was skating as it went through so the hole is angled.
So how do you fix a hole in a cast iron table? I am thinking about taping it and screwing in a cast iron plug then having the table ground. Can you get a table of this size ground?
Robert
Nice DP!!! I would do the same to fix the hole except. I would cast iron plug it but only carefully file and stone the plug till flush with the table. Grinding the entire table IMHO would not have a happy ending…Dave

I suspect grinding the whole table would be difficult and expensive. I like the idea of some kind of tooling plate with a center hole.
To level the machine I have a brainstorm! The base has T slots in it. I could make a plate that attaches to that with leveling feet! Adjustable and removable!
Robert

Back