Clausing Drill Press (new to me)

What do you guys think about this hole?

41287306004_5eb780b62f_h.jpg

40199652620_54b7fbbb50_h.jpg

I have two thoughts:
I could mill it into an elongated slot and use it with a mill type hold down for work holding.
I could try to patch it.
For a patch I was thinking this. Drill it out round and then countersink. Then machine a matching cast iron disc and solder it in place. Since this is not structural can I use regular solder or must I use silver solder? I am afraid to really heat up the area and cause a crack.

I am not going to use JB weld or other polymer solutions unless someone has something really spectacular in mind.

Robert

Well, that 6" Chinese cross slide vise was rather sloppy when I got it. As I said, I tightened it up a bit. I straightened the gibs, adjusted the gib screws, filed and sanded down the castings, cleaned up the acme screws, and installed washers to remove slack. On the bright side, I think I paid about $70 with free shipping on Amazon.

Also, usually when I drill holes in metal I lay them out and center punch them. So using the x-y handles to line it up is very handy for me. That is accurate enough for most things that I do. If I need to be within a couple of thousandths, I'd probably use my mill-drill.

I just learned the date on this machine is May 2002 per Clausing. They also sent me the manual. it is great shape. I have some ideas for upgrades. Stay tuned.
Robert

Robert,

If you haven't decided on what to do to fix the hole in the table, here is another idea. You could tap it, run a bolt into it from the bottom and grind it flush on the top.

I just learned the date on this machine is May 2002 per Clausing. They also sent me the manual. it is great shape. I have some ideas for upgrades. Stay tuned.
Robert

Shoot, I got underwear older than that.

You are a lucky bastid.

Robert,

If you haven't decided on what to do to fix the hole in the table, here is another idea. You could tap it, run a bolt into it from the bottom and grind it flush on the top.

Excellent idea! I was thinking about the reverse. I will probably try that.

R

What do you guys think about swapping out the motor for a servo motor like this one:

s-l1600.jpg

4500 rpm max. 3/4 HP. Variable speed.

R

Finally made it into the shop!

41510571194_c695d10f40_b.jpg

No comments on the motor?
Has anyone set up a linear actuator to raise and lower the table? Seems like it would be very convenient.

Robert

Last edited:
I am working on a vise hold down. What is the best way to attach a hand wheel to a shaft.

How should I attach the hand wheel so it won't work loose? I was considering three options. Roll pin all the way through. Thread the outer hub and use a set screw onto a flat. Clearance drill the outer hub and thread a hole in the shaft for a screw. I have used the latter option with good results. Thoughts?

Robert

IMG_20180523_123840.jpg

IMG_20180523_123657.jpg

A woodruff hey would be the best. If you don't have the means to do that then a set screw and dimple the shaft.

As far as the motor, not Unless you only intend to do light work .

Back