Clausing Drill Press (new to me)

thank you for the reply. I have the ability to do a key but I'm concerned it will thin The Hub too much. I'm a little afraid a set screw will work loose. I wonder if I have any 1/8 key stock.

As far as the motor is concerned both the original and the servo Motor are 3/4 horsepower. Would I need to de-rate the servo motor for this application?
R

What is wrong with the stock motor?
Nothin'. I'm just lazy about changing belts and I thought the variable speed would be nice. Plus the servo motor runs up to 4500 rpm.

I was thinking some more about the Woodruff key. My understanding is that the set screw should bear on the key? I do not have enough material in the hub diameter for that. If I put the set screw opposite the key would that be sub-optimal? I think the key would always be slightly loose and get looser over time.
Robert

Last edited:
I would put 2 setscrews 90degree apart and opposite the key. Think Y configuration

Reactions: rwm
If you are worried about the setscrews coming out you can use blue loc-tit or clear fingernail polish.

Robert,

If you haven't decided on what to do to fix the hole in the table, here is another idea. You could tap it, run a bolt into it from the bottom and grind it flush on the top.

Other than nothing, or simply stoning any high spots around the hole, this is exactly what I would do.

I made an easily removable chip shield out of Lucite.

27788503827_520a14bbc7_b.jpg

Just sits in the oil groove.
I may cut up some digital calipers to make a DRO for the quill.
Robert

I'd highly recommend a variable speed motor, makes life so much easier. I put a 1 1/2hp treadmill motor on my Walker Turner and love it. I can drill, chamfer and tap a hole all with a turn of the dial on one belt. You can also dial in the speed when drilling, which can help a great deal in harder materials.

No idea if that servo would work, don't know much about them. Most people go for a 3ph motor+vfd if starting from scratch, but I collect thrown away treadmills so I always have a motor I can use. Then its just a $60 controller and some bits'n'pieces for the control box. Just about to put one on my 6x26 knee mill, can't wait.

Lovely drill press btw, that'll give you years of pleasure.

Thanks Matt- I will consider that.
I think I just found a problem with this drill. In use, I notice a rattle that can be heard as well as felt through the quill feed. The quill feeds smoothly with the machine off and this only occurs when it is running. It also seems to be limited to the first 3/4" of feed. Before I pull apart the quill and spindle, does anyone have a good idea what this may be? I am wondering if the spline on the spindle or the pulley is worn/dammaged? The top part of the spline that is visible looks perfect. Could it be one of the spindle bearings? There is no significant runout of the spindle. One solution could be to put a spacer on the quill to eliminate the first 3/4" of travel.
Robert

you're welcome

rattles - quite likely a pulley is loose on its shaft. Recheck all the keys and set screws. My mill made a helluva racket until I tightened the set screw on the motor pulley. Why the first 3/4" of quill travel though?

Back