Clausing Drill Press (new to me)

Definitely not a loose pulley. (?)
And this attachment may help a few people.

27825602097_93a39e67c3_b.jpg

28820624728_652205336b_b.jpg

Robert

Attachments

• Clausing Drill Manual.pdf
    832.3 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
quill return spring? How does the quill return when you release the handle? Might be that it's one notch out of adjustment and the spring is rattling around in the housing until it's tensioned by moving the quill past 3/4".

Spline wear in the 1st 3/4" of the splines? Pulley cover rattling against the body of the drill press?

not much else to go wrong with these things, they're pretty simple machines at the end of the day.

My fear is it is spline wear.
R

best bet is to drop the quill out and see. That way you can check the splines, the return spring and the bearings all at the same time. Should be hard to do - on my WT you lock the quill lock, take off the return spring and pull the handle out. The quill then just falls out of the bottom (literally, if you haven't locked the quill!). The spindle bearings on mine were a bit rough, so I cleaned out the ancient grease and regreased them, seem to be fine now.

I'd fill the hole with epoxy mixed with cast iron grindings . Itll fill in tight and look like cast iron. With a little fileing and sanding your fixed. Not perfect but better. The noise I hope is nothing much ,I've never had one that didn't make that noise. It's kind of inherent to the way there made. I bet the slowest speed will be the most used , most drill presses run way to fast for metal working.

For now, I think I am going to leave the hole and use it to lock down the vise. The location is not ideal but it will work.

I took apart the quill assy:

41782260575_57eb58b859_h.jpg

All of the parts are in excellent condition with one exception. I believe the bearings that hold the pulley carrier have a little slop. The spline seems almost perfect. Also I just discovered that a set screw is missing from the pulley. It must have been thrown at some point in its life. The pulley was still very tight and held by a key and retaining clip so no rotary movement there. This may however, have contributed to the problem since the pulley's position keeps the bearing stack together. If the pulley migrated slightly upward you could get some end play in the stack.

I have ordered new 6205-DS bearings. There is also a little teflon washer that is beat up but it is a proprietary washer to fit the spline so I don't think I will easily find that. (unless you know where?). The spindle bearings seem perfect with no end play there.

Aside: Am I the only one who thinks Jacobs Super Chucks have too much travel to lock and unlock the jaws? My South bend chuck seems much better in this regard.

Robert

Last edited:
I seen all of those last week :rolleyes:

Yes you did! Well designed isn't it?!
Does anyone have an idea about the bearing ratings for this. I ordered ABEC 1 rated bearings. Is that a mistake?
Robert

Last edited:
I ended up with Timken ABEC 3 according to the guy at the bearing Shop for all four, a little over $120.00
But they were made in turkey :distrust:
Yes they are well made, #1 bearings should be fine, it’s a drill press

New bearings and it feels much smoother.
Finished the DRO:

42040434344_866909651d_b.jpg

Importantly, I made no modifications to the drill itself. I used all existing mounts.
I just measured the runout on the Southbend drill chuck you see in the picture. .007= crap. Going back to the Jacobs Superchuck. That is about .003

Robert

Last edited:
Back