Clausing motor pulley too tight on motor shaft?

Packard V8

Registered
Registered
I bought an operating Clausing 8520 which came with a VFD on the three-phase motor with a replacement pulley on the motor. The OEM Clausing two-step pulley had been damaged while being removed from the motor shaft. The seller is an experienced machinist who was still puzzled as to why he couldn't get it off without damage; said he'd never seen a pulley that tight on a motor shaft. Anyone else had a similar problem?

jack vines

Is it possible for the pulley to have been put on using the thermal expansion/contraction method and/or used some type of locking compound on the mating surface?

Certainly one possibility. I was just wondering if Clausing used that as an assembly technique and if so why?

jack vines

I’d say no. They didn’t. I removed the motor and pulley off of the one I sold last month and it came off easily.

The seller is an experienced machinist who was still puzzled

Most experienced machinists don't become puzzled , we solve puzzles . :grin: But to answer your question , yes , pulleys and bearings get stuck on shafts and sometimes heat or a 4 1/2 cutoff wheel is the only way to remove them .

If someone were to tighten the set screws up and scar the shaft would account for such problems , or just plain rust . Sounds as though he wasn't worried about the original pulley and hacked it off .

Jack (and anyone else),

Rather that typing your signature in each post, you can have it show up at the bottom of each post. Click on your User ID in the main toolbar at top of screen and then click on Signature. To change your default icon or photo or Avatar, click on User ID and then Account Details. You can upload a photo on that screen, as well as change several other things. Note that I have no idea why it gets cropped to a circle. One day they just all changed.

Back