Clean/lubing A Vt Mill Machine Table.

After the paint is all gone, start cleaning the ways with a solvent to break up the grime, I'd use a stiff bristle brush and rags. Going to have to work separate areas of the way, with the knee in different locations up or down, then I would flush the back of the knee as best you can to get any crappie that resides behind the bearing, may even goes as far as to remove the knee to get all the paint out from behind it so as not to cause further unnecessary wear.

I don't know why it would be hard to get the belts, just measure out the one you have, and measure out the one you need, Google how to properly do so
You could swap to link type belts and make your own length as needed

Ok Thanks... sounds like a good start. I go back in Saturday to do some R&D, so I will be able to work this some more.

After the paint is all gone, start cleaning the ways with a solvent to break up the grime, I'd use a stiff bristle brush and rags. Going to have to work separate areas of the way, with the knee in different locations up or down, then I would flush the back of the knee as best you can to get any crappie that resides behind the bearing, may even goes as far as to remove the knee to get all the paint out from behind it so as not to cause further unnecessary wear.

I don't know why it would be hard to get the belts, just measure out the one you have, and measure out the one you need, Google how to properly do so
You could swap to link type belts and make your own length as needed

I started with the Horizontal Ways and worked my way down, cleaning out all the old metal scraps, then flushing & oiling. Got 2 full dust pans of scraps out of the table & knee. All went well until I tried to lower the Knee. The person that is leaving and is rarely there when I am thought they would do me a favor (on their own) and cranked the table all the way up (to a much higher position than we normal use) to make it easier for me to start working on it & they also cleaned the screw gear (unknown how they "Cleaned" it). Unfortunately the Knee was extremely stiff when I tried to crank it back down. Realizing metal filings may have got crammed up into something when it was cranked up all the way, I carefully played with it by going up & down and flushing etc... but now it has a distinct hard spot at 20 & 60 degrees on the dial that comes & goes at least once, sometimes both 20 & 60 marks. It seems to be getting better but I can't seem to totally get rid of it.

It's not a deal stopper for us as we don't use the machine that much and even less as we migrate to full automation and may only be used in the future for prototypes and special jigs, if that.

It does move easier and I did find a bigger crank handle off another dinosaur that is destin for the scrap pile so it is useable.

Sorry for the blank reply, still learning.

I have the machine you were referring to in these posts and would be interested in communicating with you regarding my attempts to restore one that I have. Please respond to this post if you are still active on this blog site and would be willing to answer some questions, and share your knowledge.
Jim Barnes

Back