Cleaning a dirty/oily lathe

Thanks for the advice!
If I wash of the Purple power quickly and thuroughy, can I expect a stain? Or does it take some time sitting in it?

In my experience, by the time you finish scrubbing the part it will already have discolored. If you don't want the discoloring best to use something else.

Engine degreaser won't discolor alumnium but it works best when the parts are warm & it's expensive for what you get in an aerosol can.

Good ol mineral spirits works good too but don't use it on painted surfaces, some plastics & rubbers, etc. Here where I live mineral spirits is banned anyways, not sure about up there. I have to get it out of state.

Not sure what you're dealing with but just warm water & soap may actually work fine for you. Many dish soaps actually work well as a mild degreaser. I would try the dish soap or WD-40 first as you probably already have it. Then look for something stronger if needed. A firm bristle bush & fine scotchbrite used lightly will help a lot too.

My favorite product is OilEater, it can be used diluted, but I use it full strength. It sometimes tends to soften some paint finishes, but they re harden .

I use mineral spirits.
It does not bother anything and cuts oil and grease just fine.

Might want to wear nitrile gloves while using it.

It can dry out your hands some.

Dale

I couldn't find the pictures I was looking for, but I found this before and after. See? (Okay, I might have skipped a step)
7f3823698f5879266d5ca640e148dae6.jpg
f7a83c19b8c8f588e07d0e50c58e4bb5.jpg

Winner winner chicken dinner! That's my Euro spec 1990 CRX VTi factory Vtec car's undercarriage. The yellow galvy job cost less than the paint would have cost.

Nice! I worked on Hondas for like 10 yrs at my buddy's race shop. I had 2 GSRs. That's how I knew. ;)

I love the little death boxes. That car did 150 mph on the autobahn in factory trim. I built a trans with Frankengearing (GSR final drive + LS 5th gear) to get it up to 170 mph, but imported it to the states before I could finish. At those speeds, aero is critical. Car weighs 1,997 lbs with a half tank of gas and a full interior, stereo, and soundproofing. And I still get it clean with good ol' butoxyethanol, because I'm always on topic!

I love the little death boxes. That car did 150 mph on the autobahn in factory trim. I built a trans with Frankengearing (GSR final drive + LS 5th gear) to get it up to 170 mph, but imported it to the states before I could finish. At those speeds, aero is critical. Car weighs 1,997 lbs with a half tank of gas and a full interior, stereo, and soundproofing. And I still get it clean with good ol' butoxyethanol, because I'm always on topic!

OK, where are the pictures?

Back