Cleaning a new PM mill upon arrival

WD-40 here too. On my 1340GT lathe though. I bought a used mill, WD-40 there too.

WD40 it is. Probably buy a gallon plus a squirt bottle, and a lot of rags and paper towels. It's due to show up next Wednesday :)

I used slightly less than 12oz of WD-40 to clean my PM-30MV, so a gallon should be overkill. Also, like @Jeff.64 said, nitrile gloves. HTH

WD-40 must be really, really cheap in USA by the amount you guys use! I used good old Kerosene for a lot of clean up, very effective on just about everything and it is at a price I can afford.

The catch is that I'll be cleaning it in a garage which also has a gas water heater, so flammable fumes are a no-go.

The catch is that I'll be cleaning it in a garage which also has a gas water heater, so flammable fumes are a no-go.
open the garage door...

I ended up going with WD40. Due to the quality of the paint, I'm glad I did, as it seems rather delicate. Anyway, it wasn't nearly as hard to remove as I read about, and a single spray can would have handled the entire machine.

I ended up going with WD40. Due to the quality of the paint, I'm glad I did, as it seems rather delicate. Anyway, it wasn't nearly as hard to remove as I read about, and a single spray can would have handled the entire machine.
KB
Plus one hereas well. The paint on the PM. Machines is very fragile. It chips really easy, and that white is just horrendous to get matched for touch up. Ihave a 932- pdf mill as well as a new 12x36t lathe and had to repaint the mill blue it was so chipped. I just don’t under stand why PM hasn’t upgradedthe factory paint. I would be willing to pay extra for goo quality paint. Hey Matt you listening?
CH

I realise I'm a little late but thought I'd add my experiences for anyone else who may be in your situation.

I used citrus degreaser and plastic scrapers when unpacking my machine. To be honest i wasn't expecting much from it but I was pleasantly surprised. I bought a gallon and still have in excess of 4 litres! I found using the degreaser to soften the rust inhibitor before scraping with a plastic scraper worked well, then just a rag with a little more on for a final wipe down. Then just dry and apply a light coat of way oil to all bare surfaces.

I was really impressed how little time this took me. I had anticipating it being a nightmare of a job. Best of all, with the citrus degreaser there were no fumes, unpleasant smells etc and cleanup was very easy.

Back