Cleaning and inspecting my new Clausing 6913

papa-roe

Registered
Registered
As I said in the initial thread..the lathe is in the middle of the garage and I have no inclination to move it further. I actually like it there, especially as I clean and inspect because I have full access (give or take a messy pile of 'stuff'). I ran 20 amp, 220 power to the VFD yesterday. I have single phase power to the vfd, I have 3 phase power coming out of the vfd, 3 phase power at the lathe but the VFD is not powering up. I have power through the VFD but no LEDs and no controls. I ordered a new VFD and I moved on to cleaning after that.
I took the tail stock off, removed the ram, hand wheel, knobs and base. The key for the ram is broken. From what I have read, that is common. There are a lot crevices with years of crud and metal chips but mineral spirits and a wire brush are quickly revealing a pretty decent surface with good paint. I need to remove some surface rust from the handwheel. I have some stubborn spots in the cavity around the cam shaft that needs further attention. I will get it lubed and put back together in the morning (before I forget where everything goes). I took the panels off the headstock pedestal and they cleaned up nice as well. It is nice to see paint under all of the grime.

I'm a little concerned about the headstock spindle. Turning it by hand, it turns freely for 1/2 to 3/4 revolutions and then it grabs and releases again. Thinking about it, I will check the belts and pullys. The lathe has been sitting up for 5 years so the belts may be stiff and complaining about moving around. I'm the same way when I get up in the morning.

Sounds like you are having a good time with her. She does sound like her belts are stiff , may have some drag from the speed changer . Tuff to tell something just by a small movement . Unless it isn't supposed to move at all. When I saw your picture you posted it was grimy I kinda new the paint would look good. Good luck and have fun , great lathe to own . YA done good.

You might want to remove the belts to evaluate spindle bearings, which you probably should not touch them if you don't need to. Original bearings are likely very high precision and hard to get/expensive.

You might want to remove the belts to evaluate spindle bearings, which you probably should not touch them if you don't need to. Original bearings are likely very high precision and hard to get/expensive.

I priced the spindle bearings just last week. The one away from the Chuck is nla and one by the Chuck is made to order and non returnable. Ready for the price?? 1500.00 and change!

Not sure what you mean when you say “grabs”? The spindle SHOULD NOT spin freely and coast to a stop. The spindle bearings are pre-loaded. I can’t remember the preload specs, sorry. It’s something like spindle makes one turn with a snappy jerk, face plate attached. I would just turn the spindle by hand and try and feel for roughness. If it turns smooth, you should be good, just check with your manual and maybe adjust preload, this is important! And clean/flush out the head stock cavity and put in fresh oil…Dave

Not sure what you mean when you say “grabs”? The spindle SHOULD NOT spin freely and coast to a stop. The spindle bearings are pre-loaded. I can’t remember the preload specs, sorry. It’s something like spindle makes one turn with a snappy jerk, face plate attached. I would just turn the spindle by hand and try and feel for roughness. If it turns smooth, you should be good, just check with your manual and maybe adjust preload, this is important! And clean/flush out the head stock cavity and put in fresh oil…Dave
It turned out that the hand wheel is on crooked and is rubbing as it comes around. Two pictures attached. One showing where it is rubbing and the other from the top.

hand wheel top.JPG

hand wheel.JPG

Last edited:
It turned out that the hand wheel is on crooked and is rubbing as it comes around. Two pictures attached. One showing where it is rubbing and the other from the top.
I took the hand wheel off and while I was at it, I removed the back cover and the top of the headstock cavity. I thought the oil looked pretty good until I felt around and found some chunks of metal near the drain. A couple of the gears look like one edge of the teeth got chewed up. They look worse than the pictures show but not terribly bad. I drained it but I will need to fish around with a magnet to get the metal out. They were too big for the drain hole. I need to get cleaned up and go to class so that will be left for tomorrow.

cover removed.JPG

chowdered teeth.JPG

chowdered 2.JPG

I took the hand wheel off and while I was at it, I removed the back cover and the top of the headstock cavity. I thought the oil looked pretty good until I felt around and found some chunks of metal near the drain. A couple of the gears look like one edge of the teeth got chewed up. They look worse than the pictures show but not terribly bad. I drained it but I will need to fish around with a magnet to get the metal out. They were too big for the drain hole. I need to get cleaned up and go to class so that will be left for tomorrow.

I had my cover off mine a while ago and cleaned it out as well but cant remember what the gear conditions were(thinking that if i saw anything to be worried about, I would have posted it, but since I didnt, my guess is they werent of any concern to me) If I get a chance Ill pop that cover off and look at mine to see what they look like and maybe post it so you can see them to compare yours to. In your "Cover removed" picture it looks to me like there is a bolt missing from your gearbox engagement lever assembly. Would probably not have noticed it but I had a heck of a time figuring mine out when I got my lathe. Heres the thread. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-clausing-6913-gear-box-engagement-lever-fixed.58490/
Chunks being too big for the drain hole seem as a concern to me. From what I remember the hole isnt huge, but it wasnt small either. Im not sure but I wonder if that wear is from trying to engage the back gear. It can be a little finicky to engage. Do it by turning the chuck by hand till it engages. If the spindle is spinning at all it will grind(obviously)

I had my cover off mine a while ago and cleaned it out as well but cant remember what the gear conditions were(thinking that if i saw anything to be worried about, I would have posted it, but since I didnt, my guess is they werent of any concern to me) If I get a chance Ill pop that cover off and look at mine to see what they look like and maybe post it so you can see them to compare yours to. In your "Cover removed" picture it looks to me like there is a bolt missing from your gearbox engagement lever assembly. Would probably not have noticed it but I had a heck of a time figuring mine out when I got my lathe. Heres the thread. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-clausing-6913-gear-box-engagement-lever-fixed.58490/
Chunks being too big for the drain hole seem as a concern to me. From what I remember the hole isnt huge, but it wasnt small either. Im not sure but I wonder if that wear is from trying to engage the back gear. It can be a little finicky to engage. Do it by turning the chuck by hand till it engages. If the spindle is spinning at all it will grind(obviously)
The back gear has identical chunks missing. A lot of things become clearer when you can see the gears as they engage. I will need to look at those pics again so that I can see what you see.

The back gear has identical chunks missing. A lot of things become clearer when you can see the gears as they engage. I will need to look at those pics again so that I can see what you see.
O
Okay. I see the missing bolt that you see. Or rather I don't see the bolt that you don't see. lol Thanks, for pointing it out. The more i study this machine the less intimidating but I'm certainly not to the point where I recognize when something is missing. Like the bolt.

Back