Cleaning And Painting Wells Index Model 745

You were right the cavity was full of shavings and someone must have tried to turn it withoutView attachment 244246View attachment 244247View attachment 244248 loosing the the bolts
If you don't support the head as you are tilting, it can catch and strip the teeth. And I agree, they probably didn't have the bolts loosen enough either. I try not to tilt the head. I have a all angle vise that comes in handy when I need to cut some sort of angle. Now, I do nod the head once in a while and haven't had a problem with this. Of course, I haven't taken it past 30 degrees either. I believe the gear is replaceable. I haven't tried to remove it on my mill. And I'm sure W-I stocks that gear, too at not too bad of an price.

When you go back together, I suggest to use Lubriplate 105 grease or equivalent. Please don't use EP-1 or 2 grease in the head. That stuff just cakes up and does nothing for you as you see in the pictures. If it was my mill, Some of those areas I would use just good o oil for lubrication.

Interestingly, there seems to be little to no grease around that stripped gear and in the cavity-yet bunches of grease elsewhere
M

I believe the gear is replaceable. I haven't tried to remove it on my mill. And I'm sure W-I stocks that gear, too at not too bad of an price.
The gear that is stripped is one piece and holds the head

Last edited:
i found this on the web
>Wells-Index Division, A and D Machinery Company
>
>Muskegon, Michigan 49441
>
>United States
>
>Vertical Milling Machines
>Vertical Spindle Bearings
>Mobiltemp SHC 32 , Mobilith SHC 15
>Vertical Spindle Power Feed Gearbox
>Mobilgrease XHP 220
>Pulley Bearings, Table Lead Screw Bearings & Knee Elevator Thrust
>Bearings
>Mobiltemp SHC 32 , Mobilith SHC 15
>Knee Elevator Bevel Gears
>Mobilux EP 2 , Mobilgrease XHP 223
>Vertical Spindle Oil Cup, Knee Elevator Crankshaft Bearings, Ways,
>Slides, Spindle Quill Trip Mechanism & Automatic Lubricator
>Mobil Vactra Oil No. 2
>Lead Screws, Elevating Screws & Spindle Splines
>Mobil Vactra Oil No. 2
>Horizontal Drive Transmission, Overarm Arbor Support
>Mobil Vactra Oil No. 4

The gear that is stripped is one piece and holds the head
Might inquire, they may make a gear to replace that one with a little rework. If not, find one to a Bridgeport and see if it will work. Still have to cut off the existing one to replace. Just a thought. As far as that goes, make one!

Kieth Rucker has a video on YouTube where he replaced the worm gear on his W-I mill. I think his is a Model 845 though.

Might inquire, they may make a gear to replace that one with a little rework. If not, find one to a Bridgeport and see if it will work. Still have to cut off the existing one to replace. Just a thought. As far as that goes, make one!
I was talking to some folks on shop floor talk and they think that the teeth could be welded up and ground down to the correct profile

Back