Cleaning electrical contacts

dlane

Active User
Registered
I have a Allen Bradley 3ph push button start switch powering a 220v 1ph compressor, only using two connections.
It’s working good , the contacts look a little dirty/ burnt though , anyone know a good way of cleaning contacts ?

Paper...

Cut plain paper into strip same width as contacts.

Place between and lightly push them closed.

Just enough pressure to cause paper to drag just a bit.

Pull paper through slowly.

It will polish off tarnish.

Do not file or sand as the plating may be harmed.

Denatured alcohol cleans well but be sure it is dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Paper...

Cut plain paper into strip same width as contacts.

Place between and lightly push them closed.

Just enough pressure to cause paper to drag just a bit.

Pull paper through slowly.

It will polish off tarnish.

Do not file or sand as the plating may be harmed.

Denatured alcohol cleans well but be sure it is dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I agree. Over the years I’ve cleaned literally thousands of contacts with a dollar bill. I might not have a piece of paper with me but always would have a dollar in my pocket.

Yes, alcohol is good, but if the contacts have been arcing, there will be metal deposited from one contact to another, you can use a very fine file, or even a nail board to flatten and polish the contacts. they should be left clean, and slightly domed. A thin coat of vaseline helps to damp arcing and allows them to slide over each other to find their closest contact point. Many will say you can't do this, I was taught it as an apprentice electrical engineer, and have done exactly this for over 40 years. It stops arcing, and noisy starters, and is a one time cure!

After cleaned what about a little dielectric grease on contacts, or is Vaseline better.

I never grease the points themselves. Parts stores have contact cleaner. They should be clean and dry.

There is a product called Flexstones I have found to be very useful for heavily pitted contacts.
They were originally designed for automotive contacts. A good item to keep in your toolbox if you work on contacts at all. They have been a lifesaver in a few situations for me. They are also very helpful for other abrasive situations in confined spaces.
Randy

Back