Cleaning gages

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
what is a good spray cleanner for gauges. I have a set of calipers that need a good cleaning, Thay do have some plastic parts.

I use starting fluid for that sort of thing.

Spraying starter fluid/ether on plastic is a very bad idea. Some plastics are OK, some will get a frosty look and others will be destroyed. I use a three equal part recipe of water industrial ammonia and simple green. It must be the industrial ammonia and not the sudsy stuff found at the grocery store….Good Luck.

Last edited:
Spraying starter fluid/ether on plastic is a very bad idea. Some plastics are OK, some will get a frosty look and others will be destroyed. I use a three equal part recipe of water industrial ammonia and simple green. It must be the industrial ammonia and not the sudsy stuff found at the grocery store….Good Luck.

About the only plastic starting fluid will attack is styrene. If your caliper is made of styrene you probably want to dissolve it anyway.

I would use isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle...and lighter fluid is kerosene, starting fluid is ether, there is also white gas/coleman fuel, I would stick to the alcohol...Tim

A small brush ( acid ) with bristles trimmed to about 1/2" long.
Denatured Alcohol.
Pipe Cleaners.
Tissue paper.
Low pressure Needle type blow gun
Starrett tool and instrument oil.
Even Alcohol will fog the crystal on most calipers.
I clean and calibrate about 500 different tools during the course of a year.
This is ALL that I use.
This is all YOU need to get excellent results yourself.

Wel thay are an older mitutoyo. the crystle is long gone. If I can get them cleaned up and hand pointing to 12 oclock. Then I will order the crystle and bazel and have a good set.

This might sound strange, but I clean nearly everything with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. You can find it at Wal-mart. It's a great degreaser, works into small spaces, and evaporates in short order.

Doug

Ok got them cleaned up pritty good. sliding smoth and reapeting back to 0. only issue now is the lock screw is froze up. Going to keep working at it. Don't wan't to break it off. Had Denatured Alcohol on hand so used that with a small brush ant cotton swab. Gues I can order the crystal and bazzel from Long Island Indicator. about 30 dollars shipped. Is the copper key worth getting to set the pointer or will a small drill bit work?

Thanks for all the help.

Back