Cleaning gages

The purpose of the copper tool is to lift the gear from the rack in order to move it to the correct position. Just use some brass shim stock and a pair of scissors if you don't want to buy one. But if they are cheap, just buy it. It will be a good fit, and since you don't have one to copy, the shim stock/scissors will be a little trial and error.

The crystals are pressed in, not a do it at home item. There are many companies that install them so just pay the $35 and get it done right. Tim

The crystals are pressed in, not a do it at home item. There are many companies that install them so just pay the $35 and get it done right. Tim

I know Long Island Indicator has the bazel with the crystal installed for 20.00. I do have the HF crystle press, but scence I I just ordered it with a new bazle becouse I haven't tryed the press yet.

I've used just about every degreaser you can name, and IMHO, Naptha works best. Freon is actually the best, no residue, but not available.
Alcohol actually has a minute amount of oil in it, so I don't use it anymore. Denatured alcohol is very good also.

The canned air sold for computer dusting is one of the Freon's (Freon is just a Dupont brand name anyway)......simply invert the can and you will spray out the liquid phase. But it is rather cold, so try not to get it in your eyes...not too good for them.

Good idea Tony, not sure how much you can collect from a can. Freon or Tetra floro ethane, evaporates very quickly.
Besides, I don't really want to use anything that will harm the environment. Yes, global warming and ozone depletion.
Orange solvent is supposed to be a good degreaser.

Naptha is available in two basic "flavors". Aliphatic and aromatic. Whereas the aromatic imo does a better degreasing job, it contains benzene rings and I for one prefer not to have exposure to that. The most common and readily available form of naptha is lighter fluid, which is the aliphatic type if I remember much of my hydrocarbon chemistry. Naptha itself can be a little hard to define. It's an old term and has somewhat changed over the years to include many different distillates and combinations of them.

Some can correct me if I am mistaken.

I believe the contents of the canned air comply with the ODA and are not contributing to the problem of ozone depletion. It is thought that the chlorinated compounds are mostly to blame for that, hence their being banned in some parts of the world.

When I was a kid many years ago. My neighbor was a retired jeweler. And repaired old watches. to clean them he soaked a piece of cotton in lighter fluid put it in a mason jar lid use tooth picks to hold the inners off of the cotton and screwed the jar over it and left it over night to clean it.

Back