Cleaning granite precison table

The OP is working on a tractor brake system, not a granite surface plate... ;)
What i read is the op was working on his tractor and in the process of cleaning his brake parts he noticed a stain on his "Granite precision table" that is made of "Stone." Unless this is some kinda new/old technology hybrid tractor that utilize the advanced technology of Stone Parts I dont think its a tractor part that has the stain the OP is concerned with.

I could and very well may be wrong but thats my interpretation based on the ops words.

My question concerns the stone surface and two people have said the stain will not affect the stone's accuracy. Also a product used on the Exxson Valdez oil spill will probably be what gets used (Dawn Dish soap). Thanks to all of you for responding and helping.

The brake is interesting in that it has 4 ball bearings 90` apart in the side away from the disk on a pressure plate. Each of these bearings sit in a socket that has a ramp leading into it. A similar plate but without the ramps hold the balls in place. Obviously the balls cannot move except when the holding plate is rotated by a bell crank connected by linkage to the brake pedal. Going back to the holding plate when rotated, it forces the balls up the ramps in the pressure plate that in turn push the multiple disks together creating a clamping force on the plates that are fixed to the tractor frame.
Have a good day
Ray

Last edited:
Thread title:
Cleaning granite precison table

After washing I noticed a stain on the precision block which I thick is from the oil in the solvent. I used a dry industrial paper towel to wipe the stone but the stain is still there.

I'm so confused...

Back