Cleaning my old Torshalla SV-150 Lathe

bjornsh67

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I while ago I promised to show some picture of the cleaning process of my old SV-150.

The "old state" and the bring-home-history of the lathe can be seen on this post:http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=5430&page=2&p=152207#post152207

I have just started the cleaning process. I have not yet decided if I will go for full restoration including scraping vital/worn out parts. The simple reason is I am to lazy or have not enough time. The more sophisticated answer is want this lathe up and running and check how well (or bad) it performs.

One thing was the grease, old chips and dust on this lathe. But maybe the worst was that the person who did the painting job did a terrible job - or shall I call it an accident? I had to use a steel brush on a drill to remove old paint and plastic epoxy to dig out the original lubrication point.

Something good came out of it! I found out that the tailstock adjustment worked fine! The paint guru had covered that poor old tailstock completely with paint - but not the feeder though - he probably figured out that he still needed it for drilling.

Well, I sort of accepted all this when I bought this old lathe and most important I do not regret I bought it! I have now cleaned most of the mechanical parts and most of it is in what I can judge as good working condition. It is quite nice to touch and feel this old iron and it still has nice and smooth moving parts.

By now I take that most of you guys want to see some pictures and here they are, enjoy!

Regards
Bjorn

20140823_182656.jpg 20140823_182707.jpg 20140824_214457.jpg 20140915_221220.jpg 20140915_221353.jpg 20140915_221604.jpg 20140915_221817.jpg 20140915_222640.jpg 20140823_184640.jpg IMG_0090.JPG 20140915_221409.jpg 20140915_221253.jpg 20140915_221428.jpg 20140823_102016.jpg

That is spectacular. Very well done and I can't wait to see how it looks painted.

Get some body filler from Biltema and give the machine a skim coat and then sand it back. That way when you paint it the surface will be really nice and smooth. A little extra work but worth the effort.

I can still scraping on the bed. Now let's see if you can force yourself to sell it :whistle:

Paul.

I don't know that I would have believed that the before and after photos were of the same machine, had you shown them separately. What a transformation!!!! Great work - I'm speechless!

Wow, very nice work! If you don't mind sharing, what did you use to get the gears & other bare metals to get so shiny again?

Hi,

Glad you like the pictures!

I have used a fair amount of WD-40, White Spirit, cloths and a stiff brush. On some of the part that could handle rougher treatment I used a cheap drill with steel-brush but be carefull with the brush since you can easily make marks on your ways.

As you saw on samthedog's comment, he challenged me to smooth out the dent and bump on the casting by using plaster. That might be needed since I have some quite deep "bumps" several places after I have removed old paint.

Regards
Bjorn

Just like new! Wery nice work:
(bra jobba!).

Hi,

I have now more or less completed the restoration for this time. it was a great journey! I have not been super extreme with the painting. All painted parts have been removed from the lathe, old paint stripped from the part, cleaned and painted. But I have a small shop, it is cold weather outside and limited lifting equipment. So - some part just had to stay in place while I gave them an overhaul (like the bed, headstock and other large parts). Maybe I will decide otherwise if I do another lathe or machine later.

I also had to do a quick fix on my cross slide feeder. I tried to repair a broken shaft/coupler connection but I realize this part is hardened and not machinable by me anyway. I decided to put it back so I can get started using the lathe - and actually make something that can be a replacement for the broken part....but quick fix tend to be...quick fix and the cross slide feeder is not working anymore. I will have to give it a proper repair.

I installed the VFD on the wall and not inside the machine due to air circulating issues (and some other considerations). I installed a conduit for the control wires and a separate chord for the power wires. I have also installed two dead man buttons (if that is what you call them). The power to the VFD is powered from the small control box to the left of the VFD. A single relay is activated by pressing the start button and the start wiring ensures that power stay offline if the mains has a hiccup or similar. One red safety button is on the wall mounted control box and hooked up in series with the other safety switch and then connected to the relay power. The other safety button is on a box connected with a flexible chord to the control box on the wall. If you hit either of the safety buttons, the power to the hold-on circuit of the relay is cut and power goes off and stays off. The plan is to glue a magnet on the moveable box so it becomes easier to decide on the final location.

Since I work for the most time alone I need to somewhat maximize my margins. On the floor you can see a foot pedal. I have to press the foot pedal to get the lathe running. Once I let it go, the lathe stops.

I installed a break resistor but I am not sure if this was a useful feature. I can program the VFD to stop the motor in 0.5 second but then I get funny noises from the gears (CLANG). I figured this break puts a lot of stress on the gears and I let that feature go and accept a nice smooth stop (1 to 2 seconds).

I did a quick test on the lathe. I put a 4140 L7M bolt and did a test cut. that cut went nice and smooth. Next move is to make some feet and tune the lathe alignment so it cut straight. (not sure if I need to since the lathe is quite rigid - but it is a good exercise for me anyway).

I forgot to state the basic feature of the lathe: 900kg, 3hp engine, 12x36, Logan L0 spindle

Here are some picture - I hope you like them.

Bjorn

20150216_204854.jpg 20150216_204640.jpg 20150111_223226.jpg

Last edited:
It's looking really good now Bjørn. Now we just need to get that CVA cleaned up and parked next to it :)

Paul.

Hi Bjoern,

Very long time since I have been on this forum. Wasn't aware you posted this here as I got your message on gmail. Anyway, congratulation on the finish if the work on your lathe. Very nice!
I know it takes a lot of time and effortm, but when it all comes together it is sure a nice feeling, huh?
Kind rgds
Jan Sverre

Hi,

I have now more or less completed the restoration for this time. it was a great journey! I have not been super extreme with the painting. All painted parts have been removed from the lathe, old paint stripped from the part, cleaned and painted. But I have a small shop, it is cold weather outside and limited lifting equipment. So - some part just had to stay in place while I gave them an overhaul (like the bed, headstock and other large parts). Maybe I will decide otherwise if I do another lathe or machine later.

I also had to do a quick fix on my cross slide feeder. I tried to repair a broken shaft/coupler connection but I realize this part is hardened and not machinable by me anyway. I decided to put it back so I can get started using the lathe - and actually make something that can be a replacement for the broken part....but quick fix tend to be...quick fix and the cross slide feeder is not working anymore. I will have to give it a proper repair.

I installed the VFD on the wall and not inside the machine due to air circulating issues (and some other considerations). I installed a conduit for the control wires and a separate chord for the power wires. I have also installed two dead man buttons (if that is what you call them). The power to the VFD is powered from the small control box to the left of the VFD. A single relay is activated by pressing the start button and the start wiring ensures that power stay offline if the mains has a hiccup or similar. One red safety button is on the wall mounted control box and hooked up in series with the other safety switch and then connected to the relay power. The other safety button is on a box connected with a flexible chord to the control box on the wall. If you hit either of the safety buttons, the power to the hold-on circuit of the relay is cut and power goes off and stays off. The plan is to glue a magnet on the moveable box so it becomes easier to decide on the final location.

Since I work for the most time alone I need to somewhat maximize my margins. On the floor you can see a foot pedal. I have to press the foot pedal to get the lathe running. Once I let it go, the lathe stops.

I installed a break resistor but I am not sure if this was a useful feature. I can program the VFD to stop the motor in 0.5 second but then I get funny noises from the gears (CLANG). I figured this break puts a lot of stress on the gears and I let that feature go and accept a nice smooth stop (1 to 2 seconds).

I did a quick test on the lathe. I put a 4140 L7M bolt and did a test cut. that cut went nice and smooth. Next move is to make some feet and tune the lathe alignment so it cut straight. (not sure if I need to since the lathe is quite rigid - but it is a good exercise for me anyway).

I forgot to state the basic feature of the lathe: 900kg, 3hp engine, 12x36, Logan L0 spindle

Here are some picture - I hope you like them.

Bjorn

View attachment 95923 View attachment 95922 View attachment 95921

Back