cleaning off rust????

For those in the mid-west, Rural King has Evapo-Rust for about $17/gal., much cheaper than HF!

I saw in the photo of the nameplate that Troyke, like many machine tool companies past and present, is in Cincinnati. I Goggled the address and to my surprise it is only 1/4 mile from the road that I live off of. It is in an old small industrial area tucked in by a railroad yard. Pasted it a million times and never noticed. Small world.

I've been greatly satisfied with many chemical rust removal processes like EvapoRust, CLR, Naval Jelly, and dilute hydrochloric (muriatic) acid or vinegar.
Just make sure the type you choose are compatible with the type of metal you are cleaning. Read the instructions and do some research on what reaction effect the chemical you are using on the metal you are cleaning.

Electrolysis works too but it is very messy and not any faster or more convenient compared to the chemical processes.

I've tried most of the rust-removal methods. Nothing compares to Evaporust. I am seriously addicted! I bought a pallet of it last month and shared most of it with local hobbyists. Still have some to spare if you are local to Fort Worth.

Evaporust removes all the rust, doesn't hurt anything else except rust, and doesn't care how long you leave your parts soaking.

I am restoring 2 lathes right now. I just finished the bed of a Logan 9", and I am about to go pull the 2nd one out this morning. The difference is night and day.

Here's the Wade as I lowered it in yesterday
IMG_3693.JPG

IMG_3693.JPG

Evapo-Rust is all I use these days. It is also a green item. You can put it right down the drain.

"Billy G"

Here's a 9" Logan bed before, soaking (yesterday) , and cleaned and painted (today).

After this came out of the Evaporust, I hosed it off, dried it, painted the non-machined areas, and rubbed the ways down with oil.

IMG_3573.JPGIMG_3594.JPGIMG_3673.JPGIMG_3695[1].JPG

IMG_3594.JPG IMG_3573.JPG IMG_3673.JPG IMG_3695[1].JPG

Back