Cleaning oil lines

On my Surface Grinder repair, I used .035 MIG wire, which just fit my plastic tubes. No amount of thinner would clean them, so mechanical was the only way I could get the crud out...

I too have used MIG wire for the heavily clogged...works quite well. I typically stick to kerosene as a solvent...I don't trust the new fangled stuff.

I've found that recirculated oil in my surface grinder (versus a total loss system used in Bridgeport mills) build up something that even acetone can't cut well. Mechanical removal seems to be the only way to go.

I'm wondering about these little check valves20170728_094133.jpg 20170728_094409.jpgThey really seem to restrict the flow to those areas. I guess they are meant to due to some ports being free draining and some being sandwiched between two slabs of iron. The problem is that some of them are check valves (little spring and plunger inside) and some are just restrictors with fine pin holes either end. The restrictors are proving real hard to clean. How important are they?

I'm ordering $150 Bijur flow restrictors for my surface grinder. Technically, they're not considered cleanable. I cleared 2 of the 11 in my machine, but I figured I'd just replace all of them if I have to buy 9 anyway.

What they are there for is to even out the flow so all points get at least some of the lubricating oil. Without them, I won't operate the machine.

Cheers. Yeah I'm having trouble getting air through one of them.

Cheers. Yeah I'm having trouble getting air through one of them.
Yeah, you probably have a '00' or a '000' metering or restrictor unit. Hard to get air to pass thru one that small. Best thing to do is crack the nut down stream of the restrictor and let the oil bleed out. If it doesn't, then replace it. They do get clogged up from many years of use. There is a filter built into the metering units or restrictors that get clogged up.

Back