Cleaning old Bridgeport thats really oily

Agreed, I use WD40 as the final step cleaner not the protectant. It is full of surfactants/detergents and also displaces any water that the primary cleaner had in it.

After cleaning all machine tools deserve a protectant and/or lubricating film on them - way oil, spindle oil, grease, Boeshield, Corrosion X, Glide Coat, . . . . .

Oil Eater and Purple Power is what I use for oily greasy parts and tools. Awesome cleaning power and they don't affect the metal.

I tried a variety of the degreasers, but always go back to kerosene. It takes a bit longer than your whiz bang brand name degreasers on the heavy caked on stuff BUT zero issues with letting kerosene soak. Price is right and no risk of rusting. A little goes a long way and is reusable. I use a small concrete mixing tub (rectangular) and several cheap plastic cat litter boxes to sit big parts in and catch run off. An assortment of fine steel wool, paint brushes, old toothbrushes and you're in business.

Kero here too use it at my auto shop also,it's all we use for last 30+years.

Oil Eater and Purple Power is what I use for oily greasy parts and tools. Awesome cleaning power and they don't affect the metal.
I have never used anything as good as Oil Eater; I use it full strength for heavy crud and diluted for a dipping solution.

Back