Cleaning up a Charles Parker number 474 double-swivel bench vise

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello,

I saw this bench vise at my local used tool place back in March.
They had just put it out and didn't even have a price on it initially.

20170311_135843.jpg
20170311_135852.jpg

20170311_141347b.jpg

Well at the beginning of May it was still there.....probably due to the price tag.
20170311_141323.jpg
20170311_141332.jpg

I could not justify that price either.
However the owner was willing to move a little, and I found several unused items in my shop to "trade in" for additional discount. That brought it down to my limit.

So the next pictures of it will be from my shop!
I have already dismantled it, got some parts thru the electrolysis bucket and even some fresh paint on.
Stay tuned!

-brino

I love a good resurrection.

That is one heavy duty vice.

Don't make us wait to long.

No way that much for that vise.
That would go for about $100 on the retail side around here.
It's a nice vise though. I have a Parker from around 1902. I understand you cannot use a heavy hand on the casting, they will crack. So I use it for filing, bending, light peening. But no sledge or full swing PEENing.. They say it is gray metal.. not modern cast iron.

I like the lock on the ram. Like my Parker the jaws look integral. They just slid on and have 2 pins holding them.

Nice vise! The double swivel is unique, dont see many Parkers like that. I have an old Parker as well and also treat it with respect as I would hate to damage it and the jaws are not easily replaceable.

Thanks for the interest!

I wanted this vise for two main reasons:

1) I often wish my current vise had that double swivel feature for holding long items with one end on the floor and the part coming up thru the vise jaws.

2) When I use the Record quick-adjust vise that is my current main vise I am often disappointed by it.
The problem?
The damn quick-adjust mechanism misbehaves, it lets the jaws go slack, and drops my precious work into the pile of grit on the floor!
It's usually when I'm doing something critical and trying to keep it clean, I can spin the handle to loosen, then pull and push the jaws to the work, then while still holding the work piece with my left hand slightly tighten the vise with my right hand. So far so good the vise seems to be holding. But then I move two hands on the vise handle to just snug it up carefully and "CLICK" the quick-adjust mechanism lets go and my work is on the floor. I fume and swear.....and in fact that vise has a battle scar where I smacked it with a hammer when it dropped my work once again. It doesn't happen every time.....only when I start trusting it.

Okay, maybe there are three reasons I wanted the Charles Parker........this old piece of history is a beauty!

Will I miss the quick-adjust feature?
Maybe, but I won't miss crawling around the floor looking for a part that rolled way under the bench.

In fact, I bought two of those Record quick-adjust vises when I found them on close-out. One is my "daily driver" the other was new, still in the box. It's one of the items I traded in for a discount on the Charles Parker vise.....a good investment I figure!

I'll probably keep the Record one I am currently using just for those jobs that need a bigger hammer, or perhaps on the welding table.

Those kinds of thing won't be allowed in the "new" Charles Parker!

-brino

Nice find, Brino! Parker vises are awesome and your double-swivel vise is an uncommon model; first I've ever seen, actually. The jaw inserts are made of tool steel and are individually fitted to each vise. They are held in with tapered pins tapped in from the top and then filed to match the profile of the jaw. The vise is very strong and fairly precisely machined where it counts. If they have a weakness, it is the cast iron main nut - they can crack. I suggest you identify the nut and watch ebay for a replacement to have on hand if it ever goes.

Like my Parker the jaws look integral. They just slid on and have 2 pins holding them.

Thanks Jeff!
I looked close at the jaws, and tried to look into the holes below but could make out nothing.
Is there any easy way to pull those pins?

I'll have to have another look.

-brino

I don't know. I did not take the jaws off. I could not make out if the pins were blind or were through. So I left them. Also I didn't want to pound on the casting. They say the vise is a good vise, but there are not a lot around because they cracked from hammering on them. So, I'll use it for work holding, and use my rail (anvil) for pounding.
I was able to see the pins, if I remember from under, but not above. Or the other way.. Mine close so nicely and the jaws are so nice, that even cigarette paper or rice paper would be held . Some vises don't fully close like my old wilton. I would like to put it on a stand, so I can fully swivel and hold without the table interfering.

Back