Cleaning up a Charles Parker number 474 double-swivel bench vise

Nice find, Brino! Parker vises are awesome and your double-swivel vise is an uncommon model; first I've ever seen, actually. The jaw inserts are made of tool steel and are individually fitted to each vise. They are held in with tapered pins tapped in from the top and then filed to match the profile of the jaw. The vise is very strong and fairly precisely machined where it counts. If they have a weakness, it is the cast iron main nut - they can crack. I suggest you identify the nut and watch ebay for a replacement to have on hand if it ever goes.

I thought they might have been tapered, impossible to find the other end. Glad I didn't try that.
As for the nut, I would say if you break it, better to do one out of steel.
I didn't know the nut was the problem, everything I heard or read said the casting could not take the hammering. But the nut maybe weak spot . So if that's what they were warning about, I would make a new one from steel and be happy.

I thought they might have been tapered, impossible to find the other end. Glad I didn't try that.
As for the nut, I would say if you break it, better to do one out of steel.
I didn't know the nut was the problem, everything I heard or read said the casting could not take the hammering. But the nut maybe weak spot . So if that's what they were warning about, I would make a new one from steel and be happy.

The vise itself is very tough. You would have to hammer on it or put a pipe on the handle to break it. The reason the nut is the weak spot is that it is cast iron so not the toughest material around. In addition, each nut is fitted by hand in a loose dovetail slot and then retained by another tapered pin. Depending on how well the nut is fitted in the slot, excessive pressure from tightening can put stresses on the nut and it cracks.

A steel nut would be good but the issue is that this is a double lead square thread, I believe. It is not an Acme thread, that's for sure. If you are capable of cutting such a thread then yeah, a steel nut would be a good option.

I wonder if all nuts are the same for the parker. Brino, take a look at my signature, follow it to Parker Refurb. You'll see a shot of the parts, with the nut sitting there. I doubt it, but you never know.

I wonder if a bronze nut would be a possible substitute. I figure if you can copy the thread, you can make a limited use tap and make it yourself. I realize the double lead is the tough part.. I have not done a double yet.
Or would the only way to do it, be single point threading?

They are held in with tapered pins tapped in from the top and then filed to match the profile of the jaw.

Great thanks, I had to look real hard to see them but they are there!
I'll try to get some pictures of those too.

-brino

A few more close-ups before I show some disassembly.....

20170311_135838.jpg
20170311_135859.jpg
20170501_181606.jpg
20170501_181613.jpg

The only reason that the wrenches are still with it is that they are captive, yet you can rotate them out of the way.
20170501_182852.jpg
20170501_182858.jpg

I suspect the one circular spring clip is original, but that the flat c-clip is a replacement.

Still more to come!

-brino

I may have been mistaken about the double lead but it is a square thread, I believe, not an Acme. Square threads need to be cut very accurately or they bind.

Some models shared the same nut. The nuts are numbered - mine are number 2's. To my knowledge, all of them are cast iron.

Brino, you're lucky that the ears on the brake shoes in your base are intact. They often crack at the ears around the hinge pin. This is due to over-tightening of the locking bolt. It doesn't take much to lock the base so don't overdo it.

There is a spring and pin under the screw in the center of the handle. It keeps the handle from slipping in the head of the handle and causing a nasty pinch, which is a nice touch.

It sure is in nice condition, Brino. That looks like the original factory blue, too.

I wonder if all nuts are the same for the parker. Brino, take a look at my signature, follow it to Parker Refurb. You'll see a shot of the parts, with the nut sitting there. I doubt it, but you never know.

Thanks for that path to your refurb, I did NOT find that in my initial "Charles Parker" searches.
Your black paint really looks great!

That looks like the original factory blue, too.
Thanks. I did not know what was original, I've only seen other refurbs.

I hope my Tremclad "hammered" silver is not sacrilegious.

I will check for numbers on my nut (I says pardon?).
The thread looks very square, I'll get some close-ups when it's cleaned.

Thanks for looking and for all the great feedback!

-brino

Back