Cleaning up a micro mill

Daver

Active User
Registered
This is the old HF 47158 Micro mill. Its not the greatest, but I didn't pay much for it. I blew my budeget on a 7X10 lathe not to long ago and soon realized, a mill was coming next. Ran across this one on CL and picked it up for not much. I don' think its been used much at all. I am disassembling the major parts one at a time for thorough cleaning and check out. Have the base cleaned up and the first table (Y I think) reset and the gibs adjusted.

Anyway I am sure I will have more questions as Time goes on, and I will just keep this thread going so as not to clutter things up. But my first question(s) is this. The mill comes with a drill chuck as the main chuck... (and thats what the PO was using for holding the 3/8 end mill).

Should I stick with that or should I find an MT2 end mill holder or collet set?

Can I throw this chuck in my ultrasonic cleaner to clean the crud out/off of it.. and if so how do I re-lubricate / clean it after wards?
(Its already come off the arbor)

ok, one more while Im here... They guy gave me a funky looking wrench with it but I'm not sure what it is used for... I looked up the more familiar mini mill on the HF website and it comes with one as well... any Ideas what that thing is for?

(I'll try to get some pics after I get done re assembling it.)

Congratulations on your new machine! LittleMachineShop has everything that you need for it here: http://www.littlemachineshop.com

I would advise against using a drill chuck to hold end mills. I know that it's done all of the time by some, but I'm not a fan. Buy a proper set of collets and use the heck out of that little guy, and enjoy the learning process.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Congrats! I would like to do the same thing and get a used mill. Could you post some pix? Thanks.....

Thanks guys, ill try to get some pics up soon.

Any ideas on deep cleaning the chuck? I'll still need it for drilling etc. even if I find collets etc.

Thanks guys, ill try to get some pics up soon.

Any ideas on deep cleaning the chuck? I'll still need it for drilling etc. even if I find collets etc.

I wanted to save a nice Jacobs Ball bearing that looked like that. I turned up the heat on the cleaner and blew it out then dunked it in my WD40 container. "Brake Clean" also works well and dries fast. But. Before you get too involved check the tightness of the chuck on the arbor and check the run out. Some of those Asian chucks were horrible for run out. According to LMS they won't even ship the chuck that comes with a new mini mill because it sucks so bad. Also It takes very little slipping to ruin the taper surface between the chuck and the arbor and the arbor to the mill spindle. if the chuck does not stay on that arbor tight enough it will come off when you least expect it ruining your work or worse you.

Also. If money is tight you don't have to buy a full set of collets or end mill holders. If you buy a MT2 to 3/8" end mill holder you will be able to use a wide selection of endmill sizes that have 3/8" shanks AND you can use a 3/8" edge finder, wiggler, ect. in it. For $50 you can get started milling the right way.

Just an example.
http://lmscnc.com/1243

http://lmscnc.com/1705 Check your drawbar thread.

Can anyone tell me what the wrench is for? I can't find anything it actually fis on the mill.

Ok guys, thanks for all the advise. The chuck has been opened, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. I will have to wait till the rest of the machine is reassembled to measure run out,etc.

i also got the table disassembled,cleaned, reassembled, lubed, ans gibs adjusted. I don't have a T slot cleaner, but got them pretty via clean via gun patch style pieces of rags.

next is he column, then finally the actual head/motor/spindle, etc.

As soon as practical. IM going to get an mt2-3/8 end mill holder. Nd that will be a start.

cn someone answer this? What is anR8 collet holder, and can I use one on the micro? Or is it for a different spindle?

They are different tapers. Some small to mid size mills come with Morse taper spindles and others come with R8 spindles. The Bridgeport standard R8 has become more popular in recent years. You must use the MT or R8 arbor that is appropriate to what your spindle takes. If you use MT2 then any R8 tooling is of no use to you.

Back