Cleaning ways and sliding surfaces

olcopper

Registered
Registered
The ways on my lathe and the sliding surfaces in my mill have become stained over the years and, I was wondering what is the best way to clean them, I'm aware that I shouldn't take a side grinder to them, but, is a wire brush in a hand drill OK? How about a 3M pad? or, is there a chemical that will clean them up and not damage the ways or surfaces?
olcopper

One of those blue non-scratching Scotch-brite pads and some oil and elbow grease is all I would use, maybe a little liquid polish for stubborn spots like Simichrome or equivalent
Agree with John, no wire brushing or heavy abrasives- no power tools
Mark

I would use a razor blade to "shave" off any built up areas. Other than that I would do nothing to staining. To remove staining, which is just another form of oxide color like bluing, requires the removal of some metal. It might be just a very small amount but, it is still removal. Not a good idea IMHO for just "looks".

Agree with Bobby, even light rubbing removes some molecules and ya want to remove as little as possible

I recall something waaay back in time of either cleaning or lapping ways with a tool with a long handle, was I cleaning it or lapping it, mostly remember it was hard work.
oc

Back