Cleanup On Aisle 1...Kurt Vise

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My mill didn't have a vise with it when I bought it, and I bought a nice, unmarked vise that was new old stock to get started...I paid $150 for it and it was still in the box, so I figured it was no worse than buying a cheap one off Amazon or eBay. The guys at the shop said it sat on the shelf for 20 years, so probably a Taiwan import. It's been fine, but I wanted to upgrade to a Kurt so I've been keeping my eye out for a deal.

There was an equipment auction locally and they had a picture of the ugliest 6" Kurt you can imagine. It looked totally rusty, so I didn't even plan to bid on it, but I figured I would take a look when I did the preview...glad I did! The "rust" was actually thick, dried cutting fluid that nobody ever cleaned off...nasty! I got it for $250, so I suspect nobody else bidding on it saw it in person.

It took a couple of hours of alternating WD40 and carburetor cleaner to get this stuff off...not exactly fun. Here's the before and after pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0670.PNG
    IMG_0670.PNG
    6 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 168
My mill didn't have a vise with it when I bought it, and I bought a nice, unmarked vise that was new old stock to get started...I paid $150 for it and it was still in the box, so I figured it was no worse than buying a cheap one off Amazon or eBay. The guys at the shop said it sat on the shelf for 20 years, so probably a Taiwan import. It's been fine, but I wanted to upgrade to a Kurt so I've been keeping my eye out for a deal.

There was an equipment auction locally and they had a picture of the ugliest 6" Kurt you can imagine. It looked totally rusty, so I didn't even plan to bid on it, but I figured I would take a look when I did the preview...glad I did! The "rust" was actually thick, dried cutting fluid that nobody ever cleaned off...nasty! I got it for $250, so I suspect nobody else bidding on it saw it in person.

It took a couple of hours of alternating WD40 and carburetor cleaner to get this stuff off...not exactly fun. Here's the before and after pics:

Holy moly. That looks amazing!
What the others said absolutely applies

Wow!! Can’t believe that’s the same vice. Excellent job!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back