Cleanup On Aisle 1...Kurt Vise

That's beautiful.

Now that you have it cleaned up, expect it to start rusting. :)

That's beautiful.

Now that you have it cleaned up, expect it to start rusting. :)

Maybe a bit...my shop is climate controlled year round and I haven't had much of an issue with rust, but I figure if I use it enough it won't be an issue :)

Or wipe in down daily with oil.

Your vice reminded me of what an old airplane owner said. "I spent years chasing oil leaks in the engine. As soon as I got them all patched, my engine mount started rusting." :)

Maybe that's why airplanes with radial engines last so long...everything is coated in oil :grin:

Nicely done. Kurt sells the thrust bearing/washer/segment kit for like $14. I always replace them whether they seem good or not. New bearings make them silky smooth once everything is clean. You did a great refurb there.

My mill didn't have a vise with it when I bought it, and I bought a nice, unmarked.........<snipped>
It took a couple of hours of alternating WD40 and carburetor cleaner to get this stuff off...not exactly fun. Here's the before and after pics:
WD-40 may not be the best lubricant, does OK as a small project solvent. But sometime, try citrus based hand cleaner, even on tougher grime, like that on a milling machine column, or goo in the lathe bed.

WD-40 may not be the best lubricant, does OK as a small project solvent. But sometime, try citrus based hand cleaner, even on tougher grime, like that on a milling machine column, or goo in the lathe bed.
I tried a couple of things on the dried cutting fluid and was surprised WD40 did anything to it, but it did. Simple Green did almost nothing to it at all. I've used a citrus cleaner in the past with good luck, but don't have any right now...that would have been a good one to try.

Back