Cleanup

Texanm

Registered
Registered
I have been cleaning my lathe and learned here that penetrating oil can get most of the slime that used to be oil. My carriage seems to be difficult to move, so I would like to clean the ways, but dont know what to use. Can I use a scotchbright pad?[

Yes. You can use a scotch brite pad and penetrating oil or automatic transmission oil.
Wrap the scotch brite around a peice of flat stock and polish or clean in the long direction, keep the surface and scotch brite wet with the penetrating oil or transmission oil.
Wipe clean and Follow up with way oil.
What's the condition of the machine?

Condition is fairly good, but my garage is not the ideal place for it as its unheated.
There is some discolored spots on the bed and I'm wondering if it might have to do with the carriage being difficult.

We need Pictures, lots of pictures.
lol
What brand lathe and what size?
Is the carriage lock on or part way on?

Atlas 12 in, and have checked the carriage lock and thread dial. Just replaced the half nuts so the apron was cleaned and lubed.

Not sure where the gibs are, I assume under the carriage apron.
Since it gets more difficult toward the tail, i was thinking the cleanup since the tail gets less use.
When I changed out the half nuts the oil had gotten old or contaminated so much it was like glue.

I have been cleaning my lathe and learned here that penetrating oil can get most of the slime that used to be oil. My carriage seems to be difficult to move, so I would like to clean the ways, but dont know what to use. Can I use a scotchbright pad?

I wipe down my rails with the carriage at one end oil up the rails and move the carriage to the other end (and repeat) about every 8 hours of use.
My rails are almost unblemished (no staining) after 4 years of use.

Back