Clearance on register of a set tru chuck?

I made a chuck backing plate earlier this year and figured the "boss" would center it correctly. Having very little instruction other than make it fit the boss. It had lots of run out. Mind you the chuck I was making it for was 40+ years old. I came back and took the snug fit to having .005-.010 (as I recall) then was able to adjust it. Worked like a charm. These seem like really nice chucks. I really like that ER40 collet chuck!

Paul
Paul, I can relate. I'm in the same boat with my 5C chuck. Made the baseplate as close a fit as I could to the spindle register. No room to "tap-tru". So far I haven't needed tap-tru precision, but opening up the recess on the baseplate a few thou is on my to-do list. Glad you like your ER40 chuck.

Tom

The olde Tap-Tru technique! @darkzero coined the term as far as I know but I suspect hobby guys have been using this technique, either inadvertently or on purpose, for many years.

Yeah, I was calling it the "tap-tap" method and Darkzero came up with "Tap-Tru". Pure genius. I think I asked him if I could steal his term and he either said yes or no, I don't remember which. I've slept since then.

Tom

Yeah, I was calling it the "tap-tap" method and Darkzero came up with "Tap-Tru". Pure genius. I think I asked him if I could steal his term and he either said yes or no, I don't remember which. I've slept since then.

Tom

Tom, you crack me up! Your term is probably as accurate but Will's term has style!!!

Tom

Tom, I don't recall you or anyone else asking me for permission to use the name. It's just a name that I started calling a trick method that has probably been around forever. Of course I don't mind but I do appreciate the recognition! :)

Back