Clever Things We Do In Our Shops

Contact solution bottles made from HDPE are chemical resistant to a high degree and work as good oil bottles.

When closing paint or stain cans put a rag over to top of the lid so stain doesn't splash on your shirt.

When putting oil down a hole being drilled, let to oil drip off the drill into the hole. No oily mess over the hole to collect chips

This idea has been around for decades--After opening a new can of paint or stain take a finishing nail (I use an ice pick) to put holes in the recess that seals the lid. Any paint that gets in the recess will drip back into the can. Don't forget the rag on top of the can when tapping it on.

A board with holes drilled, and mounted horizontally is great for screwdriver storage. Even better, make it into a drawer with a ball bearing slide.

Using an oilstone on aluminum can provide a very good, matte surface. To prevent loading the stone, an thus scratching the surface, flood the area in a thin solvent or oil. WD 40 works well.

A toolpost mounted drill chuck really speeds up your work, and allows for very fast "pecking". When you set it on center, turn the leadscrew the opposite direction slightly so the cross slide can float slightly and find perfect center.

Paste was is great at stopping rust on machine surfaces. Wipe it on, wait five minutes, then buff it all off.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Paste was is great at stopping rust on machine surfaces. Wipe it on, wait five minutes, then buff it all off.

Sorry didn't read it right, the first time. Mike

I'm always looking in yard sales for old cement bits. They will drill a hole
through hardened steel with not problem. It's a very cheap way to drill a
hole in something really hard besides cement.

Back