• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a simple thin piece (0.008) of steel.
From McMaster, Steel Feeler Thickness Gauge 2083A21

Just cut the Escape wheel. Crossing it out now.

Wagner

Escape Wheel
EscapeWheel 014.jpg

The making
EscapeWheel 999.JPG

180 cuts (6 x 30). Really tired of turning cranks.

Crossing on the CNC
EscapeWheel 015.jpg

Wagner

Hi Wagner. I have been wondering how I would make an escape wheel if I had to repair a clock with a buggered up E/W. Did you do it all with a slitting saw?

And did you have to tilt the milling head? Or could you do it by off setting the RT?

David

Hi David.

All done with the slitting saw, no filing; total of six cuts in this wheel.
No tilting of the milling head. All done by offsetting the cut.
It was a challenge; the first try, not shown of course, did not work.
There was a lot of thinking and drawing on a cad program. Here a sketch for the first 4 cuts:

EscapeW.JPG

Great Wagner. Trying to figure out the full material removal. Did you use the same thickness slitting saw for all cuts?

I hope you are resting your wrists now :)

David

Yes, the same slitting saw (0.030 thick)
You can see the sequence of cuts on the picture on the previous post.
The tooth profile was defined in cuts 1 and 2. Cuts 3 to 6 removed all the material between teeth. For these cuts, the saw was kept at the same position, pointing to the center of the wheel so the root is concentric. Actually it is formed by six short straight lines (the face end of the saw - kerf).
For each sequence, set the height of the saw (mill head Z) for the offset and the mill table Y axis for the depth of cut.
Cut 30 times turning the rotary table by 12 degrees. New start position (angle), new Z, new Y and cut again 30 times...
It would be much harder without a DRO. And my rotary table is microcomputer controlled. Even so, this was 180 cuts in total. The wrists are sore...

Keep going Wagner. I am waiting for the verge.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back