Clogged Loctite bottle

fcs

Registered
Registered
Any way to unclog a Loctite bottle tip? One of those that pulls up to open and down to close. There’s no straight shot thru. If not I’ll just run a drill thru the mechanism.

What product are you talking about specifically? Loctite makes many products. When I hear someone refer to Loctite (I do it too) it's usually threadlocker or one of their other anaerobic adhesives.

None of my anaerobic adhesives bottles (Loctite brand) have that type of tip. Mine all just have a removable snap on or thread on cap.

I'm not sure about the Loctite container specifically, but most of those pull-push caps will come off if you keep pulling outwards. That allows access to clean out the gunk. You can also use a screwdriver to pry between the base to pop off the cap.

Just for clarity here is a pic of the Loctite. Thanks Eddyde I'm sure I can just pry off the tip & clean things out. As usual, I should have thought of that myself. Have to run, I'll try it later today.
1685025589098.png

My bottle is a couple months past the expiration date, so its probably time for a fresh one.

The clog may have happened because the bottle was tipped over on the shelf and lay on its side for quite a while. It took screwdriver to pry the tip apart, then the clog came out with some pokes with a wire. I needed some hammer taps to get the tip together again.

Don't be too concerned with the expiry date I have Loctite that's over 10 years old and still works fine. This is how the manufacturer gets you buy more product.

Don't be too concerned with the expiry date I have Loctite that's over 10 years old and still works fine. This is how the manufacturer gets you buy more product.
It's also how they get users with critical applications to rotate their stock to avoid having it expire. The factory I work in mainly uses fasteners with lockpatch pre-applied now but I can assure you our quality department wouldn't let expired product be used for any reason.

Sometimes Loctite is used as a precaution on non-critical applications, sometimes failure could lead to deadly consequences. It's up to the user to make informed decisions on the products and application, but for something with such potentially profound implications it's wise for the manufacturer to specify a shelf life.

John

It's also how they get users with critical applications to rotate their stock to avoid having it expire. The factory I work in mainly uses fasteners with lockpatch pre-applied now but I can assure you our quality department wouldn't let expired product be used for any reason.

Sometimes Loctite is used as a precaution on non-critical applications, sometimes failure could lead to deadly consequences. It's up to the user to make informed decisions on the products and application, but for something with such potentially profound implications it's wise for the manufacturer to specify a shelf life.

John
Not unlike the “Best By” and “Sell By” dates: Sell By gives you a couple of days to consume, how many is up to you and your individual health issues. Best By is the approximate date through which the product will still taste/perform as expected, like canned food: in theory, as long as it hasn’t spoiled (bulged can), it will still be safe to eat, but may have off flavors and lose nutrients.

Not unlike the “Best By” and “Sell By” dates: Sell By gives you a couple of days to consume, how many is up to you and your individual health issues. Best By is the approximate date through which the product will still taste/perform as expected, like canned food: in theory, as long as it hasn’t spoiled (bulged can), it will still be safe to eat, but may have off flavors and lose nutrients.
Won’t argue with this logic for food or OTC medication. When I had my Bloody Mary drink mix company I had to put these dates on my package even though I was essentially selling salt with spices and freeze dried kale.

Where I work now we manufacture motorcycles that get sold all over the world. As equipment manager I have to pay attention to things like expiration dates (we have them for components as well). Using expired stuff can lead to recalls or worse….

So, while it’s likely that “expired” Loctite won’t cause any issues for the OP, I would definitely recommend replacing it if the application has any safety implications.

YMMV,

John

Back