Clogged Loctite bottle

I've definitely had loctite set up in the bottle... there is a real "doesn't work anymore" range. Not a crisp date, of course

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

So far, I've made it a habit to vigorously shake all my bottles every three to six months. Keeps anything in there in suspension. No idea if this actually helps, but my bottle of 603 still seems to do its job.
Have I mentioned I sometimes have low expectations?

So, while it’s likely that “expired” Loctite won’t cause any issues for the OP, I would definitely recommend replacing it if the application has any safety implications.

YMMV,

John
Exactly: if you're an adult in good health, no problem drinking milk that a few days over Sell By, but don't give it to a small child or someone who has health issues.

There are two different points being discussed, first is quality management, and the other is spoiling. Quality management is a system of defined factors that an entity adheres to, and is why you rotate stock based on date. Spoiling is obvious, but it may be slow and performance degrades over time. The two may or may not relate to each other in a meaningful way. My view for the home shop is if the Loctite still flows like gel, it'll do fine. Runny with chunks gets thrown away. How long does it take to expire once it's cured on threads?

There are two different points being discussed, first is quality management, and the other is spoiling. Quality management is a system of defined factors that an entity adheres to, and is why you rotate stock based on date. Spoiling is obvious, but it may be slow and performance degrades over time. The two may or may not relate to each other in a meaningful way. My view for the home shop is if the Loctite still flows like gel, it'll do fine. Runny with chunks gets thrown away. How long does it take to expire once it's cured on threads?
Exactly.

I’m pretty sure once Loctite is cured it doesn’t expire. Easy enough to test in a home shop, all you need is a spare nut and bolt.

Food regulations are possibly relevant, but at least in the US they are full of industry influence that may have little to do with safety. I’m pretty sure spoiled milk isn’t going to kill anyone, and it’s easy for anyone with a nose to spot it.

Some here operate their home shops at or beyond standards that commercial shops run at. Others just go with what works for them, as a former business owner I’m probably somewhere in between.

Fasteners are a particular interest of mine having worked on race cars, motorcycles and boats most of my life. They’re one area where having the right thing can mean the difference between winning and loosing, life or death. I consider Loctite products to be one of the best amendments to quality fasteners and am really happy to have been using them for 40+ years.

Safety fast,

John

Back