Clough ELS on a Busy Bee B2227L

Howard E.

Registered
Registered
Some pics & a few gotcha's.

Before I did this I tore the lathe down & painted it, seemed like a good time to do it.

Lathe Paint_7.jpg

Lathe Paint_6.jpg

While I had it apart I added O rings to the selector lever shaft bushing as it was starting to get dribbly there :(

Lathe leak seal_3.jpg

I went with the iSV synchro motor & the 6:1 reduction. The change gear intermediate shaft got repurposed to hold the combo cogs.

lathe_ELS_assembly_11_sm.jpg

lathe_ELS_assembly_7_sm.jpg

The control panel got mounted in the change gear cabinet, while I was at it I took the opportunity to move the power & direction switches there as well- I never liked having them down on the lead screw control box

lathe_ELS_assembly_27_sm.jpg

The encoder mounts to the end of the change gear drive shaft but the first time I fired it up it shook so violently I thought it was going to fly apart. It turns out the end of the shaft where the gear fits is off center by 4 thou and even worse the bolt hole is out by 16 !?!

lathe_ELS_assembly_15_sm.jpg

I have no idea how the factory managed that but I ended up fabbing a corrective adapter with an off-center bore.

lathe_ELS_assembly_17_sm.jpg

Eccentricity is now less than 2 thou.

lathe_ELS_assembly_19_sm.jpg

The encoder mounts to a fork that bolts to a piece of square tubing welded to the cabinet. There's enough room left that I can put the change gears back in in case of a power outage :)

lathe_ELS_assembly_20_sm.jpg

lathe_ELS_assembly_25_sm.jpg

The electronics go in a utility box of the type commonly seen housing security systems etc. Found it in the trash at work
:sneak:

lathe_ELS_assembly_29_sm.jpg

A bit tight but everything fit. I did add some vent holes in the back of the box.

lathe_ELS_assembly_26_sm.jpg

Although it was working quite happily with plain ribbon cables & loose wires I did go shielded for the final install; I was careful every shield got bonded at one end only & each connected to a single point ground.

lathe_ELS_assembly_23_sm.jpg

lathe_ELS_assembly_24_sm.jpg

lathe_ELS_assembly_22_sm.jpg

Some obligatory idiot proofing-

Decals_sm.jpg

& it's Done. :)

Lathe reassembled_1.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely stellar conversion and write up!!!!

You did an amazing job! Have you tried it out and if so what do you think of it? Worth the effort?

Back