"Clutch Feed" on Jet lathes?

Chuck_L

Registered
Registered
Hello all. My experience with lathes is limited to my friend's old South Bend, and my little Chinese mini-Lathe. The South Bend has a knob that I've always called the "clutch feed" (don't know if that's the proper term) while my mini lathe does not. I'd like to know if any of these Jet lathes have a "clutch feed" feature, but I don't know what the feature is actually called, and I don't see a knob on the apron like my buddy's South Bend. Maybe someone can tell me what the term is for this feature, and if these Jet Lathes have it? Many thanks... -chuck

It will depend on if the lathe has power feeds , most Chinese mini lathes don’t.

I have a 9x20 jet. As for clutch feed NO it doesn’t. You engage the lathe by a pivot lever that tensions the drive belt for the lathe to operate. Then you do have a engagement lever for the saddle to traverse. No drive for the cross slide all manual from there.
The saddle lead screw has a shear pin and the gear train has one plastic gear that’s the only slippage areas no clutches.

I have a 9x20 that just has half nuts, i have seen some that have a keyway in the lead screw for power feed but some are half nut only(like mine) easy on the feed presure and oil the lead screw regular :)

Back