Clutch handle problem

Jim Huel

Registered
Registered
I just got a '58 CK. I don't have 3 phase yet, but will soon.

I'm cleaning now and have a problem with the clutch handle that rides on the right side of the carriage. When the carriage moves left, the handle cylinder sometimes stays in place rather than following the carriage. Then when I move the carriage back to the right, something is binding and gouging the square rod. That gouging doesn't happen if the handle cylinder is inserted correctly.

I don't see any mechanism to keep the handle attached to the carriage. How is that supposed to work?

Thanks

My 14C has a 1/4 x 28 set screw holding the handle in place. Also near that set screw is a place to add oil, one of those little ball bearings
held up with a spring.

Mine is a 12. It has the oil port but no hole for a set screw. I unbolted that bracket and cleaned it thoroughly to be sure. There is a small groove around the handle cylinder at the handle end and almost directly under the oil port. I had seen that groove and thought of a set screw. Maybe they missed that drill/tap operation for the screw. I've worked in Quality for almost 30 years, so might be payback. Hopefully the last of it.

There is a screw(stuck for now) on the TS end of the handle collar, but it does not go through to the inside face. I don't know its purpose -maybe for attaching some kind of wiper.

Thanks for the info.

Any pics to illustrate what you are asking?

Any pics to illustrate what you are asking?

Photo is the bottom right of the carriage. If I move the carriage to the left, the clutch handle stays in place and comes out of the carriage, as shown20180430_184706.jpg.

Back