CME Mill Vice?

Additionally, someone recently had a problem with jaw lift on them on this same forum.
That was me. Spent a bit of time trying to make the vise a little better. (Jaw lift wise.) My conclusion is to either buy a good vise, like a Kurt, Orange or Glacern, or to buy a toolmaker's vise. I have a 3" toolmakers vise. It is amazingly better than my lower cost PM vise. My next vise will be either a 5" toolmakers vise, or a 4" Kurt, or Glacern. A decent vise makes one's life so much easier. I had to learn this the hard way.

That was me. Spent a bit of time trying to make the vise a little better. (Jaw lift wise.) My conclusion is to either buy a good vise, like a Kurt, Orange or Glacern, or to buy a toolmaker's vise. I have a 3" toolmakers vise. It is amazingly better than my lower cost PM vise. My next vise will be either a 5" toolmakers vise, or a 4" Kurt, or Glacern. A decent vise makes one's life so much easier. I had to learn this the hard way.
I had a 5" mainland China made bench vise I was giving to a friend. I disassembled it, buffed the lead screw , secured the nut, milled the bottom of the slide, installed ball detents to hold the slide tight, greased everything, milled jaws parallel. It worked for him but no matter what I tried I could never get it satisfactory or accurate for me. The iron it was cast from was terrible quality under the coat of thick blue paint.

Back