CnC build help

NJS Custom

Registered
Registered
About 3 weeks ago now, I purchased a cnc second hand. It appears as if it was some kind of kit by keling. I have gone through everything and re wired, made sure everything is good. I am using Windows Xp pro, mach3 and using the parallel port, but it seems as if the computer is not communicating with the cnc. The cnc has power, the motors are locking up but it will not jog. I'm not a super computer guy, but can get myself into trouble, but after messing with this for 3 weeks I have decided to come get some help. Thanks Nick!

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the site!

First, I have little hands-on experience with home-shop CNC.
However, one thing that would help get some answers to your questions are a few more details.....

Have you checked the outputs of all the power supplies with a voltmeter?
What type of controller does it use? Can you supply any more detail .....is there a name on the controller?
Did the WinXP PC come with the machine, or did you provide it? I'd imagine it would need some drivers to be able to talk to the motor controllers.

I assume this is the website: http://kelinginc.net/
Can you point us to exactly which controller you have?
Is it one of these: http://kelinginc.net/StepperMotorDriver.html
Oh wait, I see they have a new web site, is it one of these:https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/cnc-3_axis_4_axis_kits/

Maybe generating some traffic on this thread will get it seen by people with more experience.

Good Luck!
-brino

Hello Bruno,
Thank you for the welcome.

Here is some more details I hope will help, I supplied the computer and downloaded the drivers, I am pretty sure of this.
Ok so all of the components are Keling tech or at least what I have found says so. The power supply is a KL-350-36 I have metered it and it is supplying 64.6 v to the Keling-4030 controllers(there are 3 of them x,y,z.) it also has 5.22 v going into the pul+, it has5.22 go in into the dir+. It also has 3.76 at the pul- and the dri-. At the c10 parallel port interface card it has at pin2 -7, 3.75v. This is not hooked up to the computer with these readings. On the parallel port of the computer pin2 in reading 4.63v and goes to 4.64 when the arrow is pressed on the keyboard. Pin3 is reading .18v and when the narrowest is pressed it goes to 4.87v. Pin4 and pin6 are the same as pin2, and pin5 and pin7 are the same as pin3. The motors are KL-23h276-30-8B. Yes I have visited Keling techs website and followed there diagrams. Unfortunately the people I bought it from had no info or paperwork, so I am going by what I can find online. Hope this is what you were talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Nick

If the drives are “locking up” then they have power to them. Have you gone through the motor tuning in Mach3? You need to let Mach 3 know what signals the motors need. Search Mach 3 setup.

It sounds like it's either the motor tuning/settings like Cadillac already mentioned or the motor wiring is incorrect. If I'm reading correctly you said that the power supply was providing 64 volts at the drivers? I believe the 4030 drivers are 24-40v. There are also dip switches on the drivers so make sure your micro step settings (and subsequent mach steps per) are correct and your current settings are correct for your motors (2.7amps for the motors you listed). The 64 volts issue would be the place I'd start, as the power supply you list is a 36v 9.7 amp supply. Hopefully not, but the drivers could be fried.

Thank you guys for the help, I will re run the motor tuning again as I have not done it after I reinstalled Mach 3 yesterday. I had to take a step back from this thing!!!
Coherent,
Agreed I need to figure out why it was running so high! Yesterday day was the first time It was at 64v. When I metered it before it was 36v, so don't.know what happened.
This thing has been a cluster from the get go! The person who originally did the wiring had little spots of solder connecting the main power to a plug in the unit. It has been crazy.
thanks again,
Nick

So the power supply is shot! May have been one of the problems. I am hoping that it did not fry the controllers. If it did do any of you guys know if these would be a good replacement? (CNC Single Axis 4A TB6600 2/4 Phase Hybrid Stepper Motor Drivers Controller) they are on ebay, and for the price for 5 of them,I hope they will do the job.

Replaced the power unit, and we're at 36v. I also bought a uc100 installed it with all of the drivers. Tried to tune the motors and nothing, no movement at all. I metered the break out board while moving the velocity slider and it is at a constant 3.74v should it be this way? Stopped pressing the buttons and it's still at 3.74v, is it a defective break out board, or am I missing something? Any help would be great.

Need you to back up a bit to help with troubleshooting. Turn off the motor drive DC power supply for now so you don't fry something. We'll work with signals first, then see if we can get the motors rolling.

Computer - XP
Control software - Mach3 + UC100 Plugin
UC100 motion controller
BOB - brand?

You do have the UC100 plugin installed and enabled, right? 'Cause this HAS to happen before anything will work.

Next thing to do is see if Mach3 is communicating with the UC100. Don't worry yet about if the BOB is communicating with the motor drives. The UC100 plugin should have a diagnostics page where you can keyboard-jog and see if the LEDs are triggering the step/direction ports/pins.

If not, you need to get in touch with CNCDrive (via their excellent forum) and they or one of the forum members will help you set up the Mach3/UC100 plugin so that Mach3 is communicating with the UC100 properly. I have a UC400ETH controller, but I use UCCNC software and not Mach3 (it's better than Mach, BTW) so I don't know what Mach3 looks like after the UC100 plugin is installed.

If Mach3 is communicating with the UC100 (step/direction SCREEN LED's are blinking on/off as you keyboard jog), then you need to see if the BOB is passing the step direction signals to the motor drivers. Does your BOB have LEDs on it to indicate signals? If so, you should see the LED's light up and turn off when you keyboard jog an axis. If not, then we'll need more info about the BOB before sticking a meter on some of the pins.

OK, just saw you have C10 BOB, right?

The C10 user manual is available at CNC4PC under the BOB section. If you haven't already, download it and the sample wiring diagrams and check that your C10 is wired like the examples.

(see 6.2 in the user manual)

My first inclination is that you may not have the ENABLE pin/switch triggered. If the power LED is on, but the STATUS LED is off, then no amount of fiddling is going to send signals to the motor drives until you send 5vdc to the "EN" pin. That one is usually connected to E-stop button or some other mechanical switch or relay (not controlled by the PC/Mach3/UC100).

Check that wiring and if it looks good, put a volt meter between the "5V" and "GND" pins. You should see around 5VDC. Then put the meter on "EN" and "GND" and see if you have 5VDC. If not, then it's not hooked up right or you have a bad switch somewhere.

Last edited:
Back