CNC controller. No PC. Have you seen this?

7milesup

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi guys. I was talking to Matt (from Precision Matthews) the other day about my new 833T mill. The discussion of CNC came up and he asked me if I had seen a new controller called Masso-CNC.

I looked it up, and quite frankly, it looks quite intriguing. Their website is undergoing maintenance at the moment so there is limited info, but I guess NYC CNC has used it, so maybe more info on his site too.

https://www.hindtechnology.com/

Stand alone controllers are the coming thing, Mach3 went down the pan when it's originator sold it to a clueless bunch of disorganised developers who stopped work fixing the things they'd broken or made worse in Mach3 to tout the Vapourware that was to become a semi-functional Mach4 which they joyfully sold to any sucker for years before it was worth a red cent.
IMHO ;-)

Always good to see a better/cheaper mouse trap. Mike

The thing is, you need to use their proprietary software. If it's not up to your needs or if you outgrow it you'll need to start over.

Stand alone controllers are the coming thing, Mach3 went down the pan when it's originator sold it to a clueless bunch of disorganised developers who stopped work fixing the things they'd broken or made worse in Mach3 to tout the Vapourware that was to become a semi-functional Mach4 which they joyfully sold to any sucker for years before it was worth a red cent.
IMHO ;-)

LOL: Try not to sugar-coat your true feelings there... Might give yourself an ulcer keeping all that bottled-up inside you like that.

FWIW: Mach 3 scared the pants off me one time too many so I went with Hurco/WinMax.

You can make it even cheaper and moooore open with a BeagleBone Black and Machine Kit !

Envoyé de mon A0001 en utilisant Tapatalk

You can make it even cheaper and moooore open with a BeagleBone Black and Machine Kit !

That is actually pretty cool. Not exactly a plug-n-play solution, but certainly an option. Thanks for sharing.

Brilliant. I'm interested.
Robert

I looked in to one of these a year ago when they came out. They look pretty awesome, and are essentially plug and play - motion controller, software, BOB, spindle control - all in one box.

I chose not to get one for the following reasons:

1. Software is (was) limited. Check out the list of recognized G-codes in the user manual and see if there's something missing (spindle synchronization, probing, etc.) that you might need. At the time I didn't see a way to add user macros for an ATC, 4th axis brake, or similar add-on equipment.

2. Step pulse output frequency. This has a maximum frequency of 200kHz per axis. Fine for steppers, but not fine for high-resolution servos unless you use electronic gearing and wind up losing the resolution.

These two items were deal killers based on my current and future CNC plans. However - I'm sure they've improved since I looked at them, and if I were building a fairly simple stepper-based machine (lathe or mill) I'd seriously consider one.

Back