CNC controller. No PC. Have you seen this?

Worst, the local Fanuc service rep retired and there is no replacement for the foreseeable future! Will have to pay big to get the next nearest to come to the plant.

Check out Centroid cnc Acorn. Thank me later. Also a very good forum for them also.

Is there any market for a mid-range (<$10K) retrofit package for commercial machines? I think the pricing is out of the range of most hobbyists. There has got to be some of the older machines out there with dead controllers that are still mechanically OK, but do the owners want to resurrect them rather than just scrapping them and buying new machines. The problem is that the controller is not cheap, but it's a full featured industrial motion controller. There are no low end controllers that come anywhere close to the specs.

Controller features:

Dedicated inputs for Fwd, Rev, and Home limit switches for each axis
Dual encoder inputs for each axis, 22MHz input
Up to 80 uncommited I/O points available
6MHz per axis for step & direction output
+/- 10V analog control for servos

Supported Hardware:

4th Axis, up to 8 axis possible
Spindle Control, rigid tapping capable
Coolant Control
Tool Changer
Power Draw Bar
Manual Pulse Generator (MPG)
Touch Probe, Point cloud generator is coming soon.
Spindle Camera/Microscope
Other custom features can be implemented.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should pursue this adventure and develop the complete package, or just continue bumbling along as I have been. :)

Makes a gent wish he'd stay with Tool Engineering and CNC programing instead of taking the fork in the road over to systems administration.
Going to need to get my groove back on... Can that be done at this late stage?

Makes a gent wish he'd stay with Tool Engineering and CNC programing instead of taking the fork in the road over to systems administration.
Going to need to get my groove back on... Can that be done at this late stage?

I think so, about 5 years ago I couldn't even spell CNC, I'm 69 now :)

We have 2 machines at the shop with good motors but nothing to drive them. I am investigating this to see what is what as some say.

Is there any market for a mid-range (<$10K) retrofit package for commercial machines? I think the pricing is out of the range of most hobbyists. There has got to be some of the older machines out there with dead controllers that are still mechanically OK, but do the owners want to resurrect them rather than just scrapping them and buying new machines. The problem is that the controller is not cheap, but it's a full featured industrial motion controller. There are no low end controllers that come anywhere close to the specs.

this is the market my control software, Camsoft, targets. I must say almost no hobbyists pop for the price even though <I think> it is a great product . From what I've seen most of their sales are to small commercial shops. It is not a big market.

Back