CNC conversion of X2 mini mill (HF)

DMLCV

Registered
Registered
I started to convert my Mini X2 to CNC, Here are some photos with explanations if there are any input all will be reviewed:

IMG_2570.JPG
This is what I started with

Blue Ox 2.jpg
This is the start of the upgrade

New Mill base v17.jpg
This is the conceptional drawing of the mill upgrade: Using Autodesk Fusion 360, Got a lot of information from "Shooter" this was very helpful to get me started.

Table 1.jpg
The lower one is the new mill table, the top one is LMS large table. I do model trains and I need the larger surface to work on.

IMG-4194.JPG
This is the new mounts for the table, The base plate is 1"x12"x12" will be bolted to mill base with 6 counter sunk screws M8. The top plate is 3/4"x6"x24 to mount the table too. I am using parallel rails, the table will have 2/3rd's of its wait on the center of the mill base if I did that right....

If there are any comments I sure would like to hear them good-bad-&-ugly, yes I am new at this. This has been a real learning curve for me. I have a good friend in NV that has been helping me out by emails and it really has helped.

Just curious, where did you get that bigger table from? The much larger one on the lower.

Just curious, where did you get that bigger table from? The much larger one on the lower.
Just got my computer up, the larger table is from Little Machine Shop it is for the X3 mill I believe it is Part Number: 3492. I will get back to you. I have the parallel rails and ball screws. I have been under the weather for a bit so slow to get going again.

Howdy, I had some time in between surgeries to get some work done on my mill upgrade. test fit parallel rails 1.jpg

Here is the Y axis that I have done so far, The table is 700 mm long and I was hoping that I had the blocks for the parallel rails are set right. This is a set up photo of the parallel rails for the x axis on the Y axis. I am going to install the slides on the table bottom before I secure the blocks to the Y axis. Any comments would be nice.

IMG-4463.JPG
This photo is of the table sitting on the parallel rails. The rails are longer than the table as I want to add some Lazer guides on the end of the table and that will also give me some room for the large models (model Trains ) I will be working on.

I was not sure on the placements of the blocks so are there any suggestions. I like the suggestions I have been getting. I as I said before I am new at this.....

I was not sure on the placements of the blocks so are there any suggestions. I like the suggestions I have been getting. I as I said before I am new at this.....
You want them spaced as far apart as possible. the further apart they are the more stable the mill table will be. Subtract the length of the table from the amount of travel you want to have, and that will give you the distance from the outside edges of the blocks.

Back