Cnc For Complete Beginner

catceefer

Registered
Registered
Good morning.

One day in the none too distant future, I should like to try CNC machining with a small mill. The trouble, is: I am confused about the processes involved. I have been doing some searching, but have not found anywhere that has a simple, idiot-proof overview of how to start CNC work. There seem to be programmes that convert CAD straight into code, CAM programmes, G-code software and, the nicest seeming, conversational CNC (?).

I have looked at the CNC Cookbook website, but found that just as confusing as it seemed to offer so many options that I could see where to start.

I am happy about the actual physical machine (I am thinking about a CNC-converted Proxxon MF70 mill), but should appreciate some basic guidance on how to start learning the operation of it. Can anyone suggest a suitable site or book? I have no experience of CAD, but have coded in the past (VB, VBA, HTML and very rudimentary C++).

Thank you.

James.

James, check out "Basic CNC" written by Jumps4 (Steve) located as a sticky, in the "CNC in the home shop" section on this site.
I think that is it the best write up and is what got me started into CNC. Bob

I have read the thread above, as suggested, and am slowly getting a clearer idea of CNC.

I have looked around for some software to try, but, again, am getting confused. Initially, I am looking for free programmes with which to practice: I do not have a CNC machine yet, but do want to learn the concepts first.

I currently have no CAD, CAM or G-code programmes and am uncertain which is the simplest route to take initially or which programmes are the easiest to learn. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

James.

James, listen to Steve, his videos and write-ups got me started, and now I'm addicted. Bob

+1 on watching Steve's videos. You should also read his CNC build thread on this forum. Lot's of useful information there. My mill build is a copy of his and works great.

Tom S.

Thank you all for your advice. I shall spend some time reading the threads and watching the videos.

Regards,

James.

Back