[CNC] CNC from sketch to part the way I do it

I finished up the g-code for the front and back this morning and milled out the rest of the part. except for my pocket measurement error, I think it came out pretty nice for a hobby machinist with Chinese tools.
notice my edge finder in the photos, a 1/4" gauge pin with marker ink on it.
thanks for viewing and your comments
steve

DSCF1049.JPG DSCF1050.JPG DSCF1053.JPG DSCF1055.JPG DSCF1056.JPG DSCF1057.JPG DSCF1058.JPG DSCF1059.JPG DSCF1061.JPG DSCF1062.JPG DSCF1063.JPG DSCF1064.JPG

Looks really good. I appreciate all the time and effort put into making all these tutorial videos.

I cringed a little when you said you were using a gage pin as an edge finder. A standard dowel pin will work just as good and not risk a gage pin. A dowel pin was my first edge finder.

thanks tony
I have edge finders I just like the ink method better. my double ended edge finders get stuck in the collets and want to pull apart.
this pin came in a box of junk, it's not from my set lol
steve

any suggestions on what to do next?
steve

any suggestions on what to do next?
steve

Steve:

What you have demonstrated in this series of videos is just outstanding. I have downloaded all of this and intend to use it when I get my mill set up this spring.

As far as what's next, and this might seem elementary to many here, but I would love to see how you actually set up the machine prior to milling parts. In particular, how you hold the blank stock and find your starting point, etc, would be very helpful to me.

Again, thanks and best regards!

Frank in PA:))

Ok, that's a good idea Frank
Someone else sent me a pm suggesting the same thing yesterday'
I'll make up a video
steve

in this video I show how "I" align certain types of parts and stock and set tool height.
there are a lot of good ways to do this and maybe others can chime in here too.
thanks for viewing
steve

Note: I pointed out the 4 corners you can zero your stock to but I forgot to mention you can also zero your stock in the center.

[video=youtube;7F9_dvmX6Qw]

Last edited:
In this video I talk about some of what I have learned about working with oval, eclipse, concave and convex shapes and how to draw them.
I also explain about converting splines to arcs in dxf files so d2nc will recognize them.
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;B7_xr8Z9Q8k]

Last edited:
in this video I show how "I" align certain types of parts and stock and set tool height.
there are a lot of good ways to do this and maybe others can chime in here too.
thanks for viewing
steve

Note: I pointed out the 4 corners you can zero your stock to but I forgot to mention you can also zero your stock in the center.

[video=youtube;7F9_dvmX6Qw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F9_dvmX6Qw[/video]

Good video, thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks stent
In this video I use some of the features of emachineshop to make a degree wheel
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;0cVj_zNJndE]

Last edited:
Back