CNC Journey -- Final Steps?

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, I have all my electronics/motors running on the bench. I'm using LinuxCNC with a parallel port breakout board. Many parts were recommended by shooter123456 (Thanks!). My final step is to convert the mechanical parts with ballscrews and motor mounts. I decided to go big and ordered a kit from Dave at arizonavideo. It took some time since I ordered it, but it arrived yesterday. I waited until today to open because of the coronavirus. It looks awesome. Much better than I could ever do.

Now, I need to install this. It looks a little intimidating! There are lots of hardware (screws). Hopefully, it will be obvious as to where they go. There's a little bag with 2 screws in it labelled "TUUI X". No idea what that means.

I notice the couplers don't have setscrews to prevent the motor shafts from spinning. Normal?

The ballscrews have a fitting for lubrication. It looks like a grease fitting. What do I use in here? Way oil? Light oil? Grease?

I'm thinking of doing the X-axis and Y-axis first. Test it briefly and then install the Z-axis. Make sense? The Z-axis looks trickier since I need to remove the gears at the top of the column.

20200328_073337_edit1.jpg

I notice the couplers don't have setscrews to prevent the motor shafts from spinning. Normal?

The ballscrews have a fitting for lubrication. It looks like a grease fitting. What do I use in here? Way oil? Light oil? Grease?

Very normal. Set screws don't hold well, those clamp type attachments are the way to go.

We use Mobile #2 grease (the red stuff) on out Haas.

Ok, I decided to start the conversion. I removed the table and cross slide without too much issue.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to install the ball screw through the front hole. I obviously need to either remove the mounting block or remove the ball nut. I don't think I want to remove the ball nut because all the ball bearings will come out, correct? There is a mounting plate on the ball nut, but I don't think it will pass through the mill's front hole.

So, I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. See pic.

20200329_114234_edit1.jpg

I guess I would remove the drive end hardware and stuff the screw through the hole from the back. I wouldn't remove the nuts under any circumstances.

I haven't used that kit, but I have worked with ballscrews. Do not remove the nut or you will be very frustrated repacking it.

I suspect there is a retaining clip on the end with the mount. Probably with a bearing block in there. Remove that and then the screw. The coupler will need to come off as well.

Don't hold it vertically either. If the nut moves much it can spin off very quickly.

Yes, leave the nut in place. I have removed one, once. They must be assembled by ambidextrous nine fingered monkeys....

Also I chuckled a bit at your thread title, it's more like "journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" in my experience. Once I got to the point where my machine would do what the computer said I realized just how much more I had to learn.

Cheers,

John

Okay, I'm ready to tackle the Z-axis lead-screw removal. I plan on following shooter123456's thread (post #5). Is it best to keep the head at the top, middle, or bottom for this?

As to the grease fittings on all the ball nuts, they all look very inaccessible especially the Y-axis. How often do these fittings need to be greased? It seems partial disassembly is required to get to them.

Back