CNC Mill for a Mountain Bike Component

It was created in Inventor Fusion (same product family as Fusion 360). I have an extension of .f3d for the native file if the .stl doesn't work.

Thank you!

With a work around I was able to open it in Fusion 360. Is this drawn to scale? When I open and measure it it is huge.

Tom S.

Something isn't correct then ... modeled in millimeters. 55mm long, 21.75mm at the widest point.

Try the native file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1qbzksind6x0yb/derailluer hanger v2 copy.f3d?dl=0 Fusion should be able to handle this natively.

The other file opened as a part 550mm wide by 1350mm long. No matter as the f3d file works. Like I said in my first post I'm on an extended vacation but in my spare time I'll play around with the CAM side of things. I'm by no means a Fusion 360 expert so it may take a few iterations to get it right.

Tom S.

With a work around I was able to open it in Fusion 360. Is this drawn to scale? When I open and measure it it is huge.

Tom S.

I'd say that would be one huge derailleur!

I've ordered a 3D plastic part to test the fitness of the model in hopes of avoiding wasted machine time. Should be here early next week. Good to know it IS a native Fusion file.

I checked out a few of the Cambam videos just to get a better idea of what that's all about. I've done 2D paths on a laser table for creating balsa parts and that was a real challenge having to create the tool paths while creating the drawing. Now I remember why I only did one project.

I'd say that would be one huge derailleur!

I've ordered a 3D plastic part to test the fitness of the model in hopes of avoiding wasted machine time. Should be here early next week. Good to know it IS a native Fusion file.

I checked out a few of the Cambam videos just to get a better idea of what that's all about. I've done 2D paths on a laser table for creating balsa parts and that was a real challenge having to create the tool paths while creating the drawing. Now I remember why I only did one project.

I like CamBam a lot but the challenge is getting Fusion and CamBam to cooperate with each other. There isn't one file format that works with both programs so I'm having to learn the intracasies of Fusion CAM. The curved transition surface will be particularly interesting because it is 3D. I'll get there.

Tom S.

Just a brief update on where I'm at with the CAM side of things. As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm on vacation and can only work on this occasionally. I do have the CAM done but I need to spend some time fine tuning it. Starting out I knew just enough about Fusion 360 CAM to make simple 2D and 2.5D parts so this part forced me to dig deeper into how Fusion works. I'm getting it, slowly. Hope to have something to post soon.

Tom S.

Always fun learning new things. Let me know if I can assist in any way. Thanks Tom!

I'm anxious to post the file so I can get feedback from you and others but I want to correct known errors before doing so.

Tom S.

Were you closer I'd run the STL file into Rapid Prototyping and have 'em print one in carbon-fibre loaded ABS...

Dave H. (the other one)

I'm anxious to post the file so I can get feedback from you and others but I want to correct known errors before doing so.

Tom S.

I'm fine tuning the CAM but have a few questions. Your drawing specifies two very small radius' one being 1mm and the other .5mm. There are other sections of your drawing where radial cuts meet flat surfaces and no radius is specified. Looking at the part from WheelsManufacturing.com their part has radius' at all transitions. What is the maximum radius you can live with at each of these transition points? Can I assume the .093" hole is tapped M3x8? Can it be a through hole?

Tom S.

Back