Cnc mill

You can't beat the customer service from the guys in Ann Arbor. Great company, if the MX200 fits your needs I think you will be happy. Having seen both the Tormach and Automate run there is not much comparison, the Automate is twice as heavy, has much faster rapids and cutting speeds, its in another league than the Tormach, not to beat up on the Tormach but its light duty by comparison with a toolholding system that leaves a bit to be desired. Tormach seems to build all their gear with the idea that no one can handle 3 phase power or a fork lift so everything they make is rather underpowered and small. If you have room to operate a forklift and can wire up a 3 phase converter the need for a Tormach quickly evaporates. Even without a forklift , with some thoughtful preparation for the rigging an Automate could slip into about any garage, its just a lot easier if you have 8' doors and can get a 5000 lb fork lift inside it. Talk to the guys at Smithy, they are pretty straight shooters, I don't think they would steer you wrong.

There are so many ways to go, and at the point you are at few of them are wrong. If you have the room and the money and you are sure you will continue to want to do this go big. You can make small parts on a big mill, but its a lot more work to make big parts on a small mill.

What you are looking at are the top of the line for Hobby machines.

You also could look at a used HAAS mini mill. That is a Professional machine.

One difference is asking for help on your tool you would either have Hobby folk helping you with questions or have the Professional HAAS folk helping you.

Also if you happen to find yourself out of work being able to program and use a HAAS mill could get you a nice job at a machine shop.

A HAAS mini mill is on my bucket list. One nice machine for small parts.

Back