Cnc noob

Livnpaintball

Registered
Registered
Decided I need to get a cnc milling machine in the garage to speed things up. After looking online and finding soo many freaking vendors for the steppers, controller, ect., are there any particular ones to look OR avoid? My original plan was to buy a Shapeoko and a PM 25 and convert to CNC but I may build a small one from parts and the PM25 CNC. All help and guidance appreciated!

Also, how many people use coolant, or constant air at the cutting surface? Is there a rule of thumb for this?

My opinion. For the cost to build you can buy used. I put a Brother and a Hitachi Seiki in my garage delivered for 10 grand. My next purchase will cost hopefully only double. Just make sure no matter the machine, it should run off of G-Code.
And yes, I use coolant and compressed air all the time. So an enclosed machine definitely helps keep the area clean.
Good Luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stepper/servo vendors of choice are:
Automation Technologies https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/
ClearPath https://www.teknic.com/products/clearpath-brushless-dc-servo-motors/
DMM Technologies https://store.dmm-tech.com/
Automation Direct https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/motion_control

Automation Direct has everything needed to build a control panel and is my go to vendor for electrical hardware.
I have personally purchased hardware from all of the above.

Controller System
Centroid Acorn https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy/acorn_cnc_controller.html

This seems to be a good control system, but no personal experience with them but have heard good things.

For ball screws
THK, McMaster-Carr and other vendors
Thomson, Motion Industries and other vendors
Lots of Chinese stuff available also on Ebay or VXB bearings.

My opinion. For the cost to build you can buy used. I put a Brother and a Hitachi Seiki in my garage delivered for 10 grand. My next purchase will cost hopefully only double. Just make sure no matter the machine, it should run off of G-Code.
And yes, I use coolant and compressed air all the time. So an enclosed machine definitely helps keep the area clean.
Good Luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I should have used a better term than garage, I have very limited space for this equipment, my two car garage is almost full and the wife doesn’t want big equipment in there. Most of my stuff is moveable except for the lathe and PM727.
Thanks for the advice, I will have to see if I can find any local deals on used stuff.

Stepper/servo vendors of choice are:
Automation Technologies https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/
ClearPath https://www.teknic.com/products/clearpath-brushless-dc-servo-motors/
DMM Technologies https://store.dmm-tech.com/
Automation Direct https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/motion_control

Automation Direct has everything needed to build a control panel and is my go to vendor for electrical hardware.
I have personally purchased hardware from all of the above.

Controller System
Centroid Acorn https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy/acorn_cnc_controller.html

This seems to be a good control system, but no personal experience with them but have heard good things.

For ball screws
THK, McMaster-Carr and other vendors
Thomson, Motion Industries and other vendors
Lots of Chinese stuff available also on Ebay or VXB bearings.
Awesome stuff! Thanks for the links, like I said there is soo much stuff on the web it’s hard to tell what is actually junk or good stuff.

I've used Automation Technologies as listed above for stepper motors, kits and some other parts and have been very pleased with everything I received from them. Hard to beat their prices.

For driver boards, breakout boards etc, my go to retailer online is CNC4PC A good alternative to Mach is UCCNC and their drivers.

If you build your own, you not only save money, but most of the parts retailers will provide support and a parts warranty . In addition you'll know and understand your machine and how everything operates much better. I personally get as much enjoyment out of the builds as using the machines.

Can't comment on the Acorn. I do have a UC100 on a mill and it works ok but depending on what other USB items you use (pendant etc) I have had some USB conflicts. I prefer UCCNC but also have Mach 3. I also have a UC400 ETH and I've had no issues with it and it works well with both UCCNC and Mach 3. I think ethernet is the way to go personally.

+1 for building your own if you have limited space. I started with a z-axis column I found on craigslist and have pieced it together from that. Obviously if you can start with a working machine you'll be able to build many of the mechanical components you need for the conversion yourself. I'm assuming you're not planning on converting your PM727?

I can see the appeal of the kits that are out there but many of them just package $400 worth of stuff and sell it for a grand. Looking at the one you listed there's nothing special about the pieces in that kit and there's still an awful lot of stuff you'll need to do to hook it up to whatever machine you buy. I started out with a $20 controller card, parallel pci card for my old pc, three $10 drivers, some donated nema 23 stepper motors and old laptop power supplies I had laying around. I got my machine up and running with the original column I bought, a fabricated base, and an X-Y stage purchased off eBay. I use LinuxCNC to control it all and don't have experience with the other systems but have been happy with the flexibility and ease of use with it.

Since then I'm in the process of upgrading the Y axis and have decided to switch to a Mesa Electronics Ethernet controller for better documentation. I will probably also eventually upgrade my drivers and steppers too. But, I really wanted the learning experience of building this thing and I'm willing to spend my time improving it as needed. If I wanted to start producing parts right away I would definitely go the route above with buying an existing machine and upgrading the electronics.

As you'll find with any "what machine should I get" question on this forum you really need to figure out what you want to build before you start shopping. I'm assuming from your username that you're into paintball and probably wanting to make new gear for that hobby. What materials will you be working with and what is the maximum size part you anticipate building? It's pretty easy to overestimate the jobs that can be done on a small machine so understanding the limitations of what you are looking at is critical to avoiding disappointment.

I'm sure many of us understand the difficulties of an expanding hobby with limited shop space. I recently moved some of my mom's stuff into storage so I could have more room in the garage. Now is a good time to have the discussion with your spouse about how much space, time, and money the hobby machine thing will eventually consume. Most wives welcome hobbies that don't include spending time away from home, or fast cars, or other women ;) If you have ideas that can eventually become a source of income that will probably be appreciated too.

Good luck, and don't settle for half a solution.

Cheers,

John

+1 for building your own if you have limited space. I started with a z-axis column I found on craigslist and have pieced it together from that. Obviously if you can start with a working machine you'll be able to build many of the mechanical components you need for the conversion yourself. I'm assuming you're not planning on converting your PM727?

I can see the appeal of the kits that are out there but many of them just package $400 worth of stuff and sell it for a grand. Looking at the one you listed there's nothing special about the pieces in that kit and there's still an awful lot of stuff you'll need to do to hook it up to whatever machine you buy. I started out with a $20 controller card, parallel pci card for my old pc, three $10 drivers, some donated nema 23 stepper motors and old laptop power supplies I had laying around. I got my machine up and running with the original column I bought, a fabricated base, and an X-Y stage purchased off eBay. I use LinuxCNC to control it all and don't have experience with the other systems but have been happy with the flexibility and ease of use with it.

Since then I'm in the process of upgrading the Y axis and have decided to switch to a Mesa Electronics Ethernet controller for better documentation. I will probably also eventually upgrade my drivers and steppers too. But, I really wanted the learning experience of building this thing and I'm willing to spend my time improving it as needed. If I wanted to start producing parts right away I would definitely go the route above with buying an existing machine and upgrading the electronics.

As you'll find with any "what machine should I get" question on this forum you really need to figure out what you want to build before you start shopping. I'm assuming from your username that you're into paintball and probably wanting to make new gear for that hobby. What materials will you be working with and what is the maximum size part you anticipate building? It's pretty easy to overestimate the jobs that can be done on a small machine so understanding the limitations of what you are looking at is critical to avoiding disappointment.

I'm sure many of us understand the difficulties of an expanding hobby with limited shop space. I recently moved some of my mom's stuff into storage so I could have more room in the garage. Now is a good time to have the discussion with your spouse about how much space, time, and money the hobby machine thing will eventually consume. Most wives welcome hobbies that don't include spending time away from home, or fast cars, or other women ;) If you have ideas that can eventually become a source of income that will probably be appreciated too.

Good luck, and don't settle for half a solution.

Cheers,

John
Thanks John, I really want to do a ground up build but I don’t have the time required to build it right. I will be milling 7075 small parts for cars, bikes, golf carts, you name it. I use to play paintball but know I’m in to Long Range shooting, want to build a chassis for one of my bolt guns, the list goes on.

The PM727 will stay manual because I will need it to do odd singular cuts here and there, plus it’s a good drill press! I will probably go with the PM25 and whichever kit and os. I have a bunch of reading to do on Centriod, Mach3, and now Linux since that keeps coming up.

Back