CNC plasma cutter build

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've wanted a small CNC plasma cutter for a while. I can't afford the space to have a permanent table so I scoured the web looking for ideas.
Biggest criteria is size; it had to be small enough to fit on my 2x3 welding table or be portable enough to store out of the way.
Discovered Dacs Garage and his design.
1616392716879.png

Watched all the videos several times and decided to spend $10 for the plans which include .dxf file so the pieces can be waterjet cut if so desired.
The electronics are an Arduino Duo controller running GRBL and Universal G-Code Sender.
I run a Macbook so no Mach 3 or 4 as they require a PC. I may do that in the future but I need to get my feet wet first.
I bought an import Sungoldpower 60A blowback start plasma cutter to go with it.

These are the parts that I had waterjet cut
1616393236684.png
And the results.
1616393342408.png
These are the second items that I had cut by waterjet. Man it is impressive. The dimensions are dead on.
I goofed up and only had one of the pieces in the upper left cut so I have to hand cut one to match. When I get the thing made I'll cut a new one :D

Made some progress today.
Did the rough assembly of the X and Y carriages.
I may have to make some changes because the mounting flange on the V-rail I have is wider than the spec’ed V-rail from McMaster-Carr.
The wider flange pushes the gear rack too far inboard.

Or I might just order the spec’ed V-rail.

This is the underside of X-axis carriage.
1616393759463.png
The is the X-axis carriage in the working orientation with the stepper motor mount in place and the Y-axis mount roughly assembled.
I had to bend the tabs over in my vise. 1/8" mild steel is no slouch, took care to make sure that it was dead on 90 degrees.
1616393902258.png
Stepper mount for the Y-axis in place.
1616394064094.png

I'm curious, how much did it cost to get the water jet cutting done? This design looks interesting what is the cutting envelope?

I'm curious, how much did it cost to get the water jet cutting done? This design looks interesting what is the cutting envelope?

Including the material the cutting was $100.
I’m going estimate the cutting area to be about 18" square.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back